Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, even if the N64 thing pans out it's still likely an unremarkable Direct for this one. The emphasis is clearly largely aimed at promoting the Oct-Dec line up so largely just more info on existing upcoming titles and DLC as a focus.

Comment

Just played half an hour of Cruis'n Blast, both in single-player and 2-player.

It's great fun, mad-as-a-box-of-frogs. If you get it cheap, it's definitely worth playing for a bit of daft fun.

But while it harkens back to 90s arcade racers, that resemblence is only skin-deep. If you scratch the surface, you'll see that the game is actually really very thin. This is not SuperCar SCUD Race or Daytona USA, not by a long shot.

To give an example, the game has a boost function, but it doesn't actually make you go faster (you can see it in 2-player; if you're neck and neck and one player boosts, you don't actually get ahead). The rubber-banding is extreme and we're not sure, but we think it skews the game to make sure that the losing players tend to get ahead near the end of the race. That results in a 2-player game where you spend nearly the entire race on each others' screen; like 90% of the time you're within 10 metres of each other, despite the crazy speed.

You pretty much can't crash. You can just plough into corners, and you lose speed, but you catch up in moments. I'm not convinced you'd play much worse if you closed your eyes.

The game has a huge number of subtle (and not-so-subtle) features which are designed to make it a great game for families and kids, which makes perfect sense as an arcade game to be played at a bowling alley or cinema foyer. For this, I think it's fantastic. And this isn't criticising the developer, either - I think they had a strong vision for what it needed to be, and they've executed well on that vision.

But as we know, those 90s arcade games... I think the reason why Sega Rally etc. were so good was that they were surprisingly deep games. The fact they worked as games to play in the home is a testament to this. Maybe they were too deep? Makes you think. Should they have focused more on spectacle and less on making good videogames? From a financial standpoint.

But that's a larger question. Point is that this game's great at what it's trying to be; just be sure that's what you want.

Comment

If the question is 'Should Ridge Racer and Sega Rally have more closely resembled a Raw Thrills effort designed for motorway service stations?' the answer is no.

Comment

New Kirby and Bayonetta 3 just listed on Nintendo.jp for 22 release

Comment

Established 23rd September 1889.

132 years old today.

Comment

Comment

Ah, that must be the much rumoured "Kirby X The Last of Us" crossover...

Comment

Anyone watching the direct in 2 minutes?

Comment

They got me with that N64 controller.

Comment

Castlevania DS collection with Super Nintendo Dracula x released on estore tomorrow.
                      Also Actraiser remaster launches tomorrow.

Comment

I'll probably upgrade to the higher tier for Nintendo Online to get the N64 games and grab Chocobo GP and the N64 controller. I can't get excited about Project Triangle after trying the demo but that card RPG from SE looks interesting.

Comment

I’ll definitely upgrade the membership for the N64 and Genesis games. Shame the controllers weren’t cheaper as both are $49.99 probably be £44.99 or £49.99 on the UK Nintendo store.

Actraiser Renaissance got me intrigued as I was speaking to one of my workmates about of the original the other day and how the soundtrack was superbly done by Yuzo Koshiro.

Nice to see Animal crossing getting a direct in October to show the new updates.
                          Last edited by BIG EDD; 23-09-2021, 22:54.

Comment

*Breathes heavily*

New Animal Crossing Amiibo cards coming soon!!!

Comment

Actraiser Renaissance looks disappointingly ugly.

Didn't think they'd actually do N64, but the controller situation is now getting a bit out of hand IMO.

NSO expansion & N64 controller purchase will surely add-up? Personally couldn't care about MD when I have an MD Mini gathering dust.

Comment

Actraiser Renaissance is up now on the E store priced at £24.99 also available on the PS Store up now for £24.99.

Castlevania Advance Collection is up now on the e store for £15.99 bargain

Comment

Working...
                                X