Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd love more Ridge Racer. I'd be happy if they just ported 6 or 7 to modern platforms. I have consoles setup to play all of them on a whim but I like how nice it is to have a library of games on my Switch and PS5 (with external drive for PS4 games) and just kind of channel surf between them or finish off an evening with a puzzle game or something quick like a race in Ridge Racer. I don't get on with western racers as they don't have the style of RR or they are bogged down in open worlds, currency, unlocks and social stuff. They also don't control *exactly* like later RR games so what's the point? I want a pure Japanese arcade action game where you get extremely sideways at the tap of a button.

Comment

Yep, by comparison to Cruisn' I don't mean Ridge 8 should have T-Rex's battling alien ships etc just that they need a return to an eye catching aesthetic. Like has been said RR6 and RR7 did look pretty clinical and arcade style titles need to catch the eye. I'm surprised it's still so outside of Namco's eyeline given how well they revived Ace Combat

Comment

Nintendo has publicly debunked a report that claimed it was supplying 4K Nintendo Switch development units to studios.

Nintendo is forced to directly shut down speculation of a Switch 4K model as rumours rise again. Tiring.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          Yep, by comparison to Cruisn' I don't mean Ridge 8 should have T-Rex's battling alien ships etc just that they need a return to an eye catching aesthetic. Like has been said RR6 and RR7 did look pretty clinical and arcade style titles need to catch the eye. I'm surprised it's still so outside of Namco's eyeline given how well they revived Ace Combat
          I'd love them to do a HD collection really, of every game up to 7 skipping unbounded entirely.

Just bring the graphics up to date, don't change the gameplay and slap a price tag on it. Then use the revenue to fund a proper sequel.

Comment

I'd make one change - drop the Nitro. Series took a hit when that was introduced for me

Comment

I like the nitro, not for its own sake but because I think the Maximum Charge mechanic introduced in 6 was a lot of fun. With practise you could slam around the course earning consistent Maximum Charges and rapidly refilling the nitro meter. That was really satisfying.

It wouldn't at all be a pre-requisite for me for a sequel though. I'd be keener for them to reinvent the series, honestly, rather than make another game in the vein of the PSP, 6, 7 era. That had run its course by the time of 7 anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                I'd make one change - drop the Nitro. Series took a hit when that was introduced for me
                Yep, ditto. It's like adding jump to Super Monkey Ball. Not saying it isn't fun, but I think it fundamentally changes what the game is.

Comment

I’ve played Ridge 5,6,7 and Racers but I’ve never enjoyed the power sliding. It throws my car completely sideways even if I’m going slowly and it seems to have one tyre screeching sound effect that loops if I’m still sliding.

It’s different to Outrun 2 where the car eases into the slides a bit more.

Every time Ridge pops up in conversation on here I decide to give it another go(I bought Ridge 7 recently) but it never clicks.

I’m sure the way it slides is the entire point of the game so that’s fair enough, and I bet I’d buy an HD collection if they ever made one

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                    I’m sure the way it slides is the entire point of the game so that’s fair enough, and I bet I’d buy an HD collection if they ever made one
                    Yeah, but I wouldn't hold it against you Ridge Racer's drifting is idiosyncratic. It's a core part of the games*, but it isn't for everyone. If you don't like it, you just don't like it. No different, for example, to disliking the way juggle/floating combos look in Virtua Fighter; it's a stylistic choice.

*before someone comes along and says "I never drift in Ridge Racer and that's how you get the best times-", I know that. But Ridge Racer presents itself as a game about drifting.
                    Last edited by Asura; 30-09-2021, 14:07.

Comment

Yeah, to be honest all of the best drifting games have totally unrealistic and idiosyncratic handling models. Initial D is bizarrely floaty and yet (IMO) incredibly fun. It's fair enough to not enjoy how Ridge does things.

Whenever I do drifting in what passes for 'arcade style' racing nowadays I'm always disgusted to find that you actually slow down as your car slides sideways

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                        Yeah, to be honest all of the best drifting games have totally unrealistic and idiosyncratic handling models. Initial D is bizarrely floaty and yet (IMO) incredibly fun. It's fair enough to not enjoy how Ridge does things.
                        that's the word I was looking for. I went with "esoteric" which is practically the opposite of what I meant!!

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post

Whenever I do drifting in what passes for 'arcade style' racing nowadays I'm always disgusted to find that you actually slow down as your car slides sideways
                          I picked up Cruis'n Blast on the strength of the Eurogamer review (which, having now played it, I think goes a bit overboard) and because I got it a bit cheaper. "Drifting", such as it is, is activated with a button press, which totally misses the point for me. It's very clearly an arcade port, but it's super lightweight. Really not too much to it at all.

Comment

I agree. Winning or coming third is almost random too. It is fun for a quick blast but it hasn't gripped me as I expected.

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
                              I picked up Cruis'n Blast on the strength of the Eurogamer review (which, having now played it, I think goes a bit overboard) and because I got it a bit cheaper. "Drifting", such as it is, is activated with a button press, which totally misses the point for me. It's very clearly an arcade port, but it's super lightweight. Really not too much to it at all.
                              That's the thing. I got it really cheap, so I'm happy with it, but if it had been a full-whack release, it would've been a ripoff.

I'll probably sell my copy pretty soon, but I've had some fun with it with people at my office.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                                That's the thing. I got it really cheap, so I'm happy with it, but if it had been a full-whack release, it would've been a ripoff.

I'll probably sell my copy pretty soon, but I've had some fun with it with people at my office.
                                Personally, I'm looking to scratch that Outrun 2 itch. I still have my PS3 plugged in to the bedroom TV purely to play it. Nothing comes close. I will try Hot Wheels this weekend!

Comment

Working...
                                X