Unusual games...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusual games...

Any stuff that's a little bit odd. I'll kick off with America's first Interactive Laserdisc movie : I'm your man.

It came out in 1992 and required cinemas be retrofitted with 3 button voting boxes in each seat. At various points in the movie you could make decisions (think Bandersnatch or those choose your own adventure books) or choose which character's perspective to view the next scene from. A majority rule system decided which choice would be made. The good news is it's been made available to play in a web browser here:

Anyone else got any oddities?

Portal for C64. No, not what we know today with GLaDOS. An interactive, mystery solving novel basically.
    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Anything on [MENTION=39]importaku[/MENTION]'s shelves!

Comment

Uh, it's not as interesting as yours, but I've always thought Perestroika, a Russian DOS game, was memorable.

Named after the Gorbachev's policy reforms in the Soviet union and featuring him on the start screen...

It nevertheless consists gameplay-wise of a frog hopping from one rapidly shrinking lily pad to another, trying to reach a golden coin to complete the stage...

It's all an allegory of course. I'll let Wikipedia explain:

Originally posted by Wikipedia
        The frog symbolizes a democrat and the lilies, symbolizing the ever-changing laws and acts in the USSR, constantly shrink and disappear only to appear in other places. Player can collect dots in four colours, symbolizing grocery goods, currency transactions, progressive taxes and ventures. Higher levels also feature one or more evil creatures called "bureaucrats" which follow the frog and try to eat it. The frog dies if the lily pad on which it is standing disappears, if the player moves it to a place where there is no lily pad, or if it is caught by a bureaucrat.
        The game is actually pretty fun, and I used to play it sometimes when I was a kid (it was one of the many shareware/freeware DOS games I had installed from a Games Empire CD, if anyone remembers those). I remember my Dad coming in while it was loading, seeing the start screen and being utterly confused as to what I was playing.

You can play an emulated version in browser here.

Comment

Dark Seed

Popped in to my head earlier. That was a weird game.

Comment

I suspect a lot of the usual suspects will be mentioned sooner or later.

I always liked a budget 8bit UK game called Feud. It had you playing a Wizard / sorcerer who was in a feud with his brother. They were trying to zap each other with spells. So you ran through the environment picking up plants and items to make spells to zap the other guy. Thinking about it reminds me of Spy vs Spy. I never did finish the other wizard off, got him a few times.

I liked the game at a young age beacause it was more imaginative then many but also fun, for its time. Executing a spell was very satisfying.

Much much later I was introduced to more modern takes on typing games with Typing of the Dead, on the Dreamcast. I was in trouble because I had the US version but a UK keyboard. The randomness of the words just made me laugh. I do wish I played it more.

Comment

Seaman for the Dreamcast was always an odd game…

Comment

Death mask

Another obscure Amiga game. Great in co-op.

Amiga Reviews: Death Mask by Alternative (Amiga Computing: 55%; Amiga Format: 77%; Amiga Joker: 65%; Amiga Power: 62%; CU Amiga: 67%); CD32 (Amiga Computing: 55%; Amiga Joker: 67%; Amiga Power: 69%)

Comment

Shadow of Memories on PS2.

Comment

Probably not that unusual now as suspect it's not left field enough, but I used to enjoy Weird Dreams, and think it was rather bonkers.
                    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Classic here and amazing soundtrack, Keyboard Drumset ****ing Werewolf

Comment

iD for the ZX Spectrum.

Such a weird game. The goal was interacting with an AI and gaining its trust. I remember feeling scared while playing it, at times it was as if you were in the presence of an alien form of intelligence.

Comment

Zeno clash 1 and 2....just has a very odd feel and atmosphere to the games

Comment

May I present:

Come On Baby

and

Super Galdelic Hour

Both totally bonkers PS2 games.

Comment

To be honest, Wario games in general are bonkers in their own right, thinking about it… Some of the mini games are ridiculous, in a historical and mind boggling way.

Comment

Working...
                              X