Tomb Raider XII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tomb Raider XII

Crystal Dynamics announces next Tomb Raider game, made in Unreal Engine 5 | Eurogamer.net
    At Unreal Engine 5's launch Crystal Dynamics have confirmed that the next Tomb Raider game has now entered development and will be using the engine.

What were the previous TR games built on?

Comment

According to Wikipedia they used the in-house "Foundation" engine...

I didn't know so I looked it up just now...

To be fair all 3 TR games from Crystal Dynamics have been excellent and I've loved them all... So I'm all over this news and I'm excited to see what they can do.

Really does feel like UE is going to be a popular choice this gen.

Comment

Liked the first 2 games, with the 2nd improving on the ideas and set pieces in 1 along with some good side modes.

the 3rd is garbage, worst combat encounters, forgettable set pieces, shoehorned in crap MP wasting resources and the story was dog crap along with making Lara a completely unlikeable arsehole.

I would like a new direction, as in more Tomb Raiding without the uncharted magnet platforming/climbing but i know that's very unlikely, it'll be more Gears of Tomb featuring running through set pieces of falling rocks.

Comment

Reminds me I need to finish #2 and play #3 Not happening anytime soon with my backlog !!

But I am looking forward to seeing unreal engine 5 on next gen consoles.

Comment

Assuming the new game is similar to the old ones it seems like UE5 could make it quite the looker. The demos etc Epic have released are enough to cement that we're eventually going to see some amazing visuals this gen but sub-native 4K with upscaling at 30fps is 110% the future.

Comment

It makes sense things migrating to UE5 but its a shame to loose proprietary engines. I don't want to see everything using UE5.
              But, yeah the Matrix demo showed what was possible, and that was just thrown together.

I disagree NE, I think performance and graphics modes will always be a thing this gen. And systems like UE5 luminus lighting, means less RT resources needed. And currently at this point we haven't really seen many native next gen games. Once developers start to really push the load speed streaming and cutting out LoD loads things will stabilize. I expect a dip in graphics options in the middle of the gen as developers get to grips, and then a progression back to it later. 4k60 won't be a thing for most games, but 1440/60 probably will.

Comment

There will be those kinds of performance options but the visual compromises to hit them will quickly go from minor to severe without the potential outlay for midgen machines. Like last gen, the consoles offer impressive power but they fall well short of the tech out there that already hits issues when fidelity is factored in which is before we transition to software pushing things more. Like how I can run 60fps on the Win3 but to do it there is an increasing scale of compromise that at some point becomes too noticeable. I don't have an issue with 30fps but I think the compromises will stay this gen and only grow till we're all fixated on the pursuit of 8K60fps instead

Comment

Given the option I choose 60fps. If there isn't an option I just get on with it. It doesn't really bother me that much.

I feel like I'm kind of alone in this in nerd circles but performance as a whole doesn't bother me that much. Like, yeah, good performance is better. But one of my fave games ever is Skyrim and I played that on the PS3 version for chrissakes. I dunno, it just feels like it's a relatively small part of the picture in terms of how much I enjoy a game overall.

I agree that an increasing number of games will rely on 30fps in the latter half of this gen. It feels inevitable. We are still firmly in cross gen territory with the software so far, which means there's plenty of headroom for 60fps on current gen. That'll vanish as PS4 and Bone are left behind.

Comment

Yep, 60fps is nearly always the better option. These kinds of cinematic visual heavy games are usually the ones I'm more likely to consider 30fps but only because there's often so much character animation they feel pretty smooth regardless

Comment

30fps in itself isn't horrible as long as its a solid 30 and has correct frame pacing

Comment

Despite really liking Uncharted, adoring Uncharted 2 and feeling so-so about Uncharted 3, I feel time has not been kind to that trilogy and by the time it came to play Uncharted 4, the feeling of enthusiasm was non-existent. A series of games that really pushed story telling and polish to the fore with Uncharted 2 feeling revolutionary.

However, I always prefered Tomb Raider and at the time, Tomb Raider Underworld was far more my cup of Tea than the original Uncharted. And as time's moved on, I've loved picking up the last 3 games in a Steam sale and playing though it. They all looked beautiful, had some fun combat and I loved the back to basics approach. They weren't perfect but the wise cracking of Uncharted wore me down game after game, wheras I really liked the survival feeling of the Cystal Dynamic Tomb Raiders. I played though Shadow of the Tomb Raider this Christmas and found it to be beautiful, rewarding, fun and mixed it all with quite a touching story.

Looking forward to what the next Tomb Raider will be.

Comment

Might not be but it sounds like it's a continuation of the prior trilogy but time jumping 10 years or so on

Comment

I've enjoyed all 3 of the trilogy. There's some elements I think didn't work that well but on the whole I thought they were well worth it and I'm eager for more...

Comment

The Nu Raider games are my favourite cornball guilty pleasure series. I really enjoyed the trilogy and will play the next one. I hope that useless bastard is back in it, her mate, whatever he was called. One of the worst characters in videogames and I LOVE IT.

Comment

Working...
                              X