Machines with sentimental value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Machines with sentimental value

A bit of a strange one this, but do wbear with me.

As the title suggests, do you have any sentimental attachments to any of your machines? Is there something in your collection you wouldn't part with for purely sentimental reasons?

I've had my trusty old C64 since I was ten and it still works to this day. You could wave all the money in the world at me, but I'd never part with it.

The same for my PS1, oddly enough. The connection isn't as strong, but that machine has been a brick since the day I bought it (second hand, no less) and has never let me down. I have many fond gaming memories with that. Even owning a PS2 hasn't made me want to get rid of it.

OK, what about you? Do you have any sentimental attachments to any of your machines or am I just a sappy mofo?

I probably wouldn't want to part with my Saturn. I bought a Saturn and the following few years were some of the best I've had in gaming. Too many fond memories of late night gaming sessions and long multiplayer madness with friends.

Comment

I would hate to lose my SNES as I have had that for time and has many memories attached to it, but as I am on my third Cube (due to theft) I would have to say that the older it is the more connection you have to it.

I could always replace my SNES of course if that ever got nicked (which is very unlikely), but I like the fact that the accumulated grime on the controller and strange orange stains (candle wax?) around the cartridge slot are mine! After many years it has become more organic and one of the few things I have managed to hold onto.

Comment

Oh God yeah, my Sega Master System will never part my company. I don't play it that much now, but there are sooo many good titles on the little 8-bit wonder that I don't know what I'd do without it

Comment

For me: the Dreamcast. I bought machines before and after but this was the only one i talked to and treated like a friend rather than an object.

DC: just so classically small, powerful, ahead of its time and died tragically young, leaving behind a legacy of games I curl up and cry on top of sometimes. The machine that had everything except friends with money. Oh and decent advertising. Sigh.

The PS2 however I treat like an unwelcome guest in the house, albeit one which has a little bit of money behind him who occasionally buys me a nice meal, which is enough to warrant him not being chucked out on the street.

I`m quite fond of the Gamecube, but the DC was and always will be the little soft tinged happy childhood memory box for me.

Comment

I couldnt get rid of my Master System. It was my first proper console and there are still so many great games for it that I enjoy playing. Oh and it has the best Sonic game on it still.

Comment

Originally posted by c-cat114
              DC: just so classically small, powerful, ahead of its time and died tragically young, leaving behind a legacy of games I curl up and cry on top of sometimes. The machine that had everything except friends with money. Oh and decent advertising. Sigh.

The PS2 however I treat like an unwelcome guest in the house, albeit one which has a little bit of money behind him who occasionally buys me a nice meal, which is enough to warrant him not being chucked out on the street.
              Could not have put it better, thats brilliant

Comment

Originally posted by c-cat114
                For me: the Dreamcast. I bought machines before and after but this was the only one i talked to and treated like a friend rather than an object.

Perfectly put, the DC i just could never sell.

The PS2 well, its a one meal wonder for me (Winning Eleven).

Comment

I will never sell my dedicated Ult.Mortal Kombat 3 arcade cabinet, it's in perfect condition,
                  apart from that I will never sell a system again, I still regret selling my Amiga 500 / 1200 / CD32 with all games just to get money for a Jap psx with Ridge Racer, the jap psx is now somewhere in a corner (it doesn't load disc's anymore) .........

Comment

You sold your Amigas? Sacrilege! I would never part with my A500 especially, its the best games machine I've ever had or probably ever will. And the CD32 might be packed away in the cupboard at the moment but I won't part with it I need a new tv unit to house everything when I get my new TV in my new flat

Comment

Yeah, my NES. It was my first console
                      I came home one weekend last year to find it in the bin outside

Comment

Although it doesn't get as played nearly as much as my Mega Drive, Dreamcast or Gamecube, I will never ever sell my Atari 7800.

It's the first Christmas present I ever remember receiving, it was from my Nan and Gramp and was basically my first gaming experience. I remember after a year or two games were pretty hard to get and I would save my pocket money for the next shopping trip to Toys R us in Southampton (probably a good 50 miles from where we did and still live), as that was the only place left to get games.

I still have everything in absolutely mint condition, all the boxes, manuals, accessories and everything. Also have a pretty big collection of 7800 games and Barnyard Blaster and Alien Brigade come out with the light gun every few months for a good blast.

I have such fond memories of it that I won't even buy the remaining few games I need to have a complete collection, I just like having exactly what I owned when I was a kid, nothing more, nothing less.

Comment

The Japanese Famicom. Not only mine, but Famicoms in general make me feel fuzzy all over, and there little carts as well.

I grew up with them, and it was my first system, due to where I lived as a kid, you couldnt get a NES, for 8-bit, everyone played Famicom.
                          I still remember vividly 4-player multiplayer on Kinnikuman with my friends, or trading carts for the weekend.
                          At the time, there werent really any Famicom specific mags, (well, EGM did NES games...), so most gaming secrets we discovered ourselves, and then traded on the playground like baseball cards.

In hindsight, I think it was a wonderful way to be introduced to gaming.
                          The famicom had a much wider selection of games than the NES, such as SkyDestroyer and Ikki, and they were arguably of a higher quality as well, with better box art etc.

Add to that all the features it brought into gaming, or the fact that it saved gaming from the big crash, or perhaps its just childhood nostalgia, but the Famicom has a special place in my memories.

EDIT:
                          I think the fact that I was introduced to gaming without the internet was also good. There was no googling up the top 10 lists or anything, walking into a games store was magical.
                          All the carts on the shelves and below counter glass, would the next purchase be golden, or crap? Youd borrow games, and word of mouth would spread, there was more surprise back then. The interent, for all its good, has taken away something from gaming. I can now name around 500 Famicom games, would certainly recognise screens of them, but does that mean I enjoy Famicom games any more? Not really. I miss the old days....

Comment

Oh hell yes, the days of non-internet were great . Not to say the internet has ruined things, far from it, but that 'feeling' of going into a games shop with enough money for one brand new title was definitely something special. Ahhh .

I have too many fond memories of my N64 to part with it. Sure I'll milk the games for every penny they're worth, but the console is brilliant and brings back so many memories of great times .

Comment

I reckon you lot'd sell up if offered enough

Comment

Working...
                              X