Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Switch handheld - how are you all playing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switch handheld - how are you all playing?

Do you swear by the Joy Cons? Satisfye/Skull & Co grips? Hori Split Pad Pro/Compact?

I still can't get it into my head that Nintendo went with 2-player tabletop mode (which must have been the least requested feature for a handheld ever) over ergonomics.

I bought the Split Pad Pro and the Split Pad Compact to try them out before returning one or both - leaning towards keeping the Compact.

Just curious what you all are playing with!
    Last edited by Nico87; 14-04-2023, 18:21.

Nothing. It's been sat in its carry case for months. Had about 6 hours play in almost two years.

Comment

Pro Controllers almost exclusively. We'll be getting a third once the new Zelda one is out.

We only use the joycon for 4-player when James has friends over.

Comment

Exclusively pro controller for all single player. Joycons for multiplayer.

Comment

Sorry, we use them for ARMS as well.

Comment

I've got large hands and always hated using the switch without a grip.

I've tried and really enjoyed the satisfye grip so can recommend that one and I've also used the cheaper skull & co grip on the switch lite (with the 3 different slide on palm grips) and that was also really comfortable.

Hope that helps.

Comment

I recently played the main campaign of BOTW using the console docked with the Pro controller. I did the DLC on handheld. The pro controller has the advantage of not making your hands cramp up, but that could just be my age.

Comment

Handheld I use joy-cons, although the split pad compact looks like it might be quite comfortable too. The joy-cons in handheld mode feel a lot more solid on my OLED model compared to what they did on my older model, so there's that. Another in the camp that prefers the pro controller and docked though. heh

Comment

Pro Controller in almost all conditions

Comment

When docked i use pro controllers unless it's one of the games that need the joycons like tsuri spririts. When in handheld mode i just play with the joycons attached as when i'm playing at work each day it stays in my trouser pocket no room at all for a extra pad or anything extra.

Comment

With the launch model I eventually moved to using the Hori split guys when I was in handheld, but since moving to an OLED, any (somewhat rare) handheld sessions have been with their standard JoyCons. Have thought about getting the new fancier split controller, but my preferred way to play by a mile is docked with a pro controller, though.

Comment

Standard joycons when handheld, Pro Controller when docked.

Comment

Actually, if we’re ever out somewhere it’s table-top mode with a joy-con in each hand, arms relaxed at my sides. I like not having my hands bound around a controller in those situations.

Handheld mode is dogger. It’s too big. The games don’t feel suited to that format, either. I’ve been playing the GBA a lot recently and I love how fast you’re into a game and back out again. This is ideal for 10/15 minute sessions in bed at night. A lot of the software feels like it was designed for the commute.

Comment

Pro when docked, except on Splatoon 3.
                            Joycons when handheld, because otherwise isn't not a handheld, innit.

Comment

for hand held play its joycon, still don't like them though. Docked it's controllers; sn30 pro and pro+ models or xbox elite controller with an adaptor.
                              Last edited by concretesnail; 16-04-2023, 05:36.

Comment

Working...
                              X