Super Monkey Ball Japanese vs PAL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Monkey Ball Japanese vs PAL

I've just got hold of the Japanese version of Super Monkey Ball, after having the PAL version for ages. I'm in the process of slowly replacing my PAL GC games with NTSC versions.

Anyway, I noticed that the attract mode sequence is quite different in the Japanese version.

There is totally different music playing while the monkeys search for bananas (Ai Ai Ooh! and all that)

The Japanese version is longer as well, with loads more shots of the monkeys gurning at each other and dancing around.

The rest of the shots are the same but shorter in the Pal version (you don't get Mee Mee skidding around as much, etc) except for the final scene when they race along in line. That bit is longer in the Pal version to fit the music it seems.

Overall the Japanese version is much better, I can't think why they would want to have changed it. Does anyone know of any other differences?

Also, does Japanese SMB support Progressive scan? Holding B down isn't working

Bugger, it doesn't support prog scan.

Comment

It's a well known fact that developers systematically worsen games for the PAL release. It's just the done thing.

Comment

Yeah. This is such a strange thing to change

Comment

I remember when i first put on the PAL SMB and thought "That ain't right..." but i never bothered to look into it, now i can sleep at night.

No, seriously, it's weird how they change it... what's the point in putting in effort to change the cut scenes?... odd.

Comment

You may have also noticed, the slowdown that's present in the PAL version of Expert17 running at 60Hz is not present in native NTSC versions or indeed when you run the PAL version at 50Hz. Weird huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Papercut
              I've just got hold of the Japanese version of Super Monkey Ball, after having the PAL version for ages. I'm in the process of slowly replacing my PAL GC games with NTSC versions.

Anyway, I noticed that the attract mode sequence is quite different in the Japanese version.

There is totally different music playing while the monkeys search for bananas (Ai Ai Ooh! and all that)

The Japanese version is longer as well, with loads more shots of the monkeys gurning at each other and dancing around.

The rest of the shots are the same but shorter in the Pal version (you don't get Mee Mee skidding around as much, etc) except for the final scene when they race along in line. That bit is longer in the Pal version to fit the music it seems.
              old, old news..

Comment

Is the Japanese version different to the US?

SMB2 features a fair amount of slowdown too, especially on the warp whatsits.

Comment

What exactly is the point of doing this?
                  Is it just because while they're converting it, the PAL programmers or whatever they're called wanna make their mark and feel like they've contributed to it's development so change little bits? Or do they just change stuff to make the whole conversion seem more worthwhile?

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris
                    What exactly is the point of doing this?
                    Is it just because while they're converting it, the PAL programmers or whatever they're called wanna make their mark and feel like they've contributed to it's development so change little bits? Or do they just change stuff to make the whole conversion seem more worthwhile?
                    Or perhaps to tailor it to what they think are European tastes?

Comment

Lets face is guys. PAL console gaming is generally second best to importing. Thats why this site is here

Comment

PAL 0WNZ J00!!!!!111

Think Crazy Taxi was same on DC (slowdown in 60hz), on rare occasions the PAL version is the best *racks brain*...but I can't think of any at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                        X