This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't it a bit too early for the next gen consoles? :/

Partly-inspired by Edge's cover, but does anyone else think it's still at least several years to early to start introducing the next round of consoles?

I know technology has to push forward, but yesterday I saw someone at Game buying a PSOne game (maybe partly down to the PS2's backwards-compatibilty, but still) and then the number of people who've only just bought a PS2 or are only now thinking about getting an Xbox, and well even 2005 is probably too early compared with what the current machines can still do.

For example, Xbox Next's non-backwards compatability essentially means MS will have to start again, and I guess the same with Nintendo (although I haven't really been following the N5, so I don't know) so I guess the only people who can afford to push forward is Sony.
    But even they should surely relax a while... while every generation will bring forth its early adopters who buy the console at ?300 at retail, maybe they should wait for the mass market to catch up and give the devcos currently working on things now a chance.

One thing that brought this to the forefront of my mind recently was also the rumours (and no, I don't believe them) that all the Rare games save Kameo would be moved to Xbox Next. Now, this would basically mean Rare released 2 games during the full Xbox lifetime, and like I said, even though I don't believe that PD would be moved to the next-gen, it still starkly contrasts the amount of games even they, with their relaxed deadlines, churned out for the N64.

Hrm. I've waffled on incoherently enough.

Valid and salient points, but rather than create a new thread it would perhaps be better to continue the discussion currently underway in here
    - http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/viewtopic.php?t=12605

Comment

Working...
    X