The Japan Angle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Japan Angle

Sitting on the floor, shoeless, in a very small but very tidy flat in Kawatana, Kyushu, southern Japan, I thought I'd let you westerners know what the "scene" is like out here. The computer game scene that is. Well the shops really. Now this is a very narrow view, but basically it seems like it's a little stagnant. I am gonna have a good hunt for a computer game shop as I understand them, and maybe some Japan residents can help me out but here goes.

I spent a good afternoon wandering through the streets, backstreets, malls and halls of Kyoto and I found 3 game shops. To be fair I don't know what I am looking for, and Japanese shops have the tendancy to advertise their wares in their own language, I mean, how short sighted is that!?!? But I found 1 shop that only sold PS2 stuff, and two more traditional games shops that had a reasonably selection of stuff. GameBoy Players, Hori peripherals, and the latest games for all platforms, and a little note apologising for NO GBA SPs. However, what struck me the most was the similarity of these shops to the UK equivilent. I didn't know what to expect,maybe floating neon sheves or somthing.

Anyways, I shall wonder around this town, see if there is anything, although I suspect not, and maybe Sasebo or Omura are the only place for that kind of action.

Hey, cool

One day I will definately go to Akihabara, but I'm waiting for my wallet to power up first

Comment

Where I live( 30 mins from shinjuku ) I have this great game store just a walk away. beats the hell out of "GAME" shops in the uk
      Really though, I don't ever get the impression that japanese gamers are more eager than anywhere else to play/collect games.
      Strange really as my dream was to go to japan and visit gaming shrines and icons like Akihabara as a kid, but now im here its totally different than one could have thought.

Comment

ft: Thanks for ruining the illusion. I was happy thinking that the Japs were mad hardcore nutters!!

Comment

[edit]I'm an idiot, I thought you said Kyoto[/edit]

Comment

Aren't you in the wrong place for gaming fanatascism though? I mean isn't Kyoto, for the most part, more of a traditional city, in comparison to Tokyo? That was my understanding of it at least.

Comment

Working...
            X