No announcement yet.

Has Nintendo gone lazy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoshy Island was not celshaded - celshaded involves the use of 3d polygon models and then texturing them to look 'cartoony' - Yoshy Island were 2d sprites

Comment

But the end result gave a similar, hand drawn look. Of course it wasn't cel shaded, which wouldn't have been possible on a SNES, that was what I meant by using "a simpler form".

Comment

you mean sprites looked hand-drawn

camps

Comment

[/quote]

RPGs? Well Zelda isn't really an RPG but Shenmue pisses on it. Ragnacenty and Story of Thor were both superior to LTTP on the Mega Drive. By true RPGs then Eternal Arcadia, Shining series and Phantasy Star series are all excellent games.

Sega have the best arcade football game in Virtua Striker 3.

VF is FAR better than SC. Get real.

Just because you are ignorant to Sega's greatness doesn't mean it doesn't exist.[/quote]

I'm sorry but Shenmue doesn't "piss on Zelda". Name a bad Zelda game, then. Also, sorry to keep saying similar things, but every single review I have read has heralded the Zelda of that time as the best game available. Look back at the reviews from all sources of LTTP, Ocarina and Wind Waker.Look at this very sites reviews of Zelda. Links Awakening was hardly a bad game either. IMO Zelda is the greatest series of games available on any format. As for Story of Thor that game was an obvious copy of LTTP, nearly as blatant as Dark cloud was to Ocarina. And Phantasy Star, eh? As a one player game its dull and pointless and online its not even in the same league as games like Everquest on the PC.
          "Sega have the best arcade football game in Virtua Striker 3". Well I never asked for a better arcade game. I asked for a footie game, of which Virtua S can't even compare to the sheer class of Pro Evo/ WE.
          "VF is FAR better than SC. Get real." You may have a point here. To be honest I don't like fighting games at all, only 2D stuff like Streetfighter. Saying that, Soul Calibur is the only 3D fighting game that I can bear to play. Maybe other real fans of 3D fighters can state which they prefer.
          "Just because you are ignorant to Sega's greatness doesn't mean it doesn't exist" Yeah, I'm so ignorant to it that I own a DC and mega drive, insist that Rez is probably in the top three PS2 games and am buying an X-Box to play JSRF, Orta, Toe Jam, Gun Val and the other stuff out soon.
          Rant over...

Comment

Originally posted by camps
            you mean sprites looked hand-drawn

camps
            What I meant was that JSR used a cartoony look, that looked hand drawn in comparison to realistic computer models in games like Tony Hawk

Comment

Frankly I can't be arsed to discuss this topic with someone who tries to use reviews to back up his point. Especially someone who thinks Phantasy Star began with the online incarnation.

Comment

Wow, i leave this thread for a bit and it's turned into an all out war! Best let it settle.

Made in Wario is a Nintendo game i'm really looking forward too, so that's what? 2 Nintendo games i really want.... tsk shame on Ninty.

Comment

Any thread about Nintendos quality always ends becoming a Nintendo vs Sega debate. I love them both, but IMO some of the stuff that is being said on here is just madness.

Shenmue pisses on zelda?
                  Ragnacenty and Story of Thor were both superior to LTTP on the Mega Drive.

Come on sidez, anyone would think you were just saying that to get a reaction

IMO the difference between Nintendo and Sega is clear-
                  Sega WERE more innovative, more willing to take risks. Sure, when they had there own format, they could take these risks. This meant that also released occasional stinkers, whereas Nintendo NEVER do IMO, or at least far less frequently. Which of the games in the last 12 months compare in this respect to JSR, PSO, samba, Seaman, Space channel 5, Rez, Monkey ball..... Yes they have recently released games of undeniable quality, but Sega have changed. Also now, lazy ports constitute well over half of their release schedule. Fair enough, they need to make money, this doesnt bother me as long as the other 50% are good.

As for Nintendo, they are my favourite developer (sega being my 2nd) and their output in the last 12 months has been astonishing. Mario sunshine. Metroid, Animal Crossing, Zelda, Pikmin (maybe just over 12 months). The list goes on. I think that due to the different philosophies, Sega make more GOOD games than nintendo, but Nintendo make more GREAT games. If that makes sense

Comment

Originally posted by camps
                    Yoshy Island was not celshaded - celshaded involves the use of 3d polygon models and then texturing them to look 'cartoony' - Yoshy Island were 2d sprites
                    Which is why it is one of the best looking games ever!

Comment

Originally posted by KempStar
                      Any thread about Nintendos quality always ends becoming a Nintendo vs Sega debate. I love them both, but IMO some of the stuff that is being said on here is just madness.
                      That's funny, I find all threads questioning Nintendo's greatness end up in; "Nintendo are doomed, they are going to 'do a Sega'!" But once again, the things being said are madness!

Comment

have you seen the latest news? Game are not selling the cube anymore.

ALOT of places have reduced to clear the gamecube stock.. eek.

Comment

We know that m8 as its posted elsewhere, it doesnt relate to this thread however. Thanks.

Comment

Well i was kinda thinking it was related to the thread.

Nintendo need to do something and give the europeans something on their console. Nintendo are just being lazy at the moment and they're paying for it.

Comment

As for "Sega have a triple AAA title in every genre available today" is nonsense. Where is the footie game to rival Pro Evo/ WE? The puzzle game to test Mr Driller or Tetris? The RPG to come close to Zelda or FF? The FPS to blast away Halo or Goldeneye? Or the sheer genius that is Animal Crossing?
                              They don't make every genre, but for puzzles: Puyo Puyo beats them both. And RPGs, Arcadia, and Panzer Dragoon Saga. Phantasy Star series is also up there. Zelda on the other hand is not an RPG, and FF isn't even made by Nintendo. Can anyone name a Nintendo RPG then?

As for the innovation part that's slightly incorrect. Correct me if i'm wrong in any of this points but didn't Nintendo:
                              - Create the D-Pad
                              - Make use of analogoe sticks on console pads 1st
                              - Make the 1st portable console
                              - Find the 1st use of a rumble pad
                              - Invent a genre in Mario Kart that has yet to be bettered
                              These 'inventions' you're talking about, it's only a matter of time before someone else comes up with the idea. You doing it first doesn't mean you're the only one in the world who will ever think of the idea. For instance, Sony didn't invent analog sticks but their pad was the first two have two of them. And now all pads do. Does this mean Sony invented the idea of two pads? Hah. Like I said, being first is overrated. Unless it's so brilliant an idea that no one else could ever have thought of it.

And sega more than matches with Nintendo. Nintendo just milk the same franchises over and over. Sega rarely does something to death.

Comment

Wow, I take it this thread is old but... fanboy city!

I'll give my opinion as a totally un-biased Atari ST owner who never had a megadrive or SNES, and entered the console market with Sony. Now I have had a DC and a GC for a while.

In the current generation Sega have the most variety in games, and are consistently more fun and higher quality - with the exception of Shenmue which is overrated dog ****.

It's pretty clear that the best games on the GC are *not* made by Nintendo... in fact the best of the ones I've played is made by Sega!

I'm not saying Nintendo don't make great games, but they certainly don't seem to do so regularly anymore. In fact, with the news of Silicon Knights separating from Nintendo citing creative differences, it seems that all Nintendo do is tell other people what they can and can't put in their games.

Comment

Working...
                                X