Mobile Phone gaming - help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile Phone gaming - help please

Hi guys. Wonder if you can help me by giving me your views on Mobile phone gaming. This is for my brother who is talking to Nokia about this:

1. If you were able to convert any games that have ever been made for mobile phones, which games would these be and why ?

2. What factors do you think will make a mobile game popular ?

3. If you were to play mobile games, when would you play them and where would you play them ? Would playing them be a direct substitute for playing games on other platforms ?

4. What factors do you think will help sell games ?

I suppose constructive views on why the N-Gage is so crap could also be added.

Cheers guys.

A Pocket Monsters-esqu? RPG would be brilliant. The simple graphics are fine for the genre, and imagine battling/trading over irDA/bluetooth/SMS ! Hell, downloadable monster eggs could be sold by the network carriers for revenue. Bargain!

All new mobiles are already wireless. Get in on the act before the next GBA with wireless built in gets there. Imagine sitting about on a train, scanning the carraige by bluetooth for someone to have an EddieMon (or something) battle with. Priceless.

Comment

Oh yeah, phones are too slow and controls too fumbly for any action or arcadish games to work. (Slow) puzzle games, mahjong and RPGs are the only titles I can see ever working well.

Comment

One of the reasons the Sony Ericson's are so popular at the moment is the stupid golf game on it. If you think about it though, it's the perfect game to appeal to mobile users:

- It's slow, so doesn't require good reaction times or a quality control method
        - It's golf. Everyone knows what golf looks and plays like, so it's a doddle to get into
        - It appeals to both men and women
        - It appeals to businessmen/women, who are the largest group likely to have the newer, more expensive phones (because the company give them to them).
        - It's a 'mature' game. You won't get funny looks on the train from playing Golf that you do for playing 'Blast Colourful Alien Scum'.

So the next ideal game for a mobile phone would be......cricket!

Imo the main reason the N-Gage died was not necessarily because it was bad hardware (hell, look at the Spectrum to show that hardware doesn't sell a platform) nor bad games (we all know most people will buy any old toss), it was because Nokia completely misunderstood their market.

Most people who play games on mobiles want to be discreet. They want to sit in a corner on the train or the bus and play a game without the whole world knowing. With most mobiles, unless you can see the screen, you don't know what people are doing. They could be texting or accessing the web. The N-Gage looks like a games console and it's obvious you are playing on one.

I don't think most mobile users give a hoot about connectivity or online play. They just want one or two games that they can use to while away the odd boring moment stuck on public transport.

Comment

Originally posted by Brats
          One of the reasons the Sony Ericson's are so popular at the moment is the stupid golf game on it.
          STFU :P Bluetooth mini golf is best game of the year

Passed away many a lecture playing that and still do

Comment

Mobile gaming will be huge.

Imagine having a scaled down GTA on the go where loads of different people could join in the city and interact. You put a wireless search out for other players in your vicinity and can play against them. You could have the entire bus or train you are on running round in the same game playing each other.

Comment

hanks for the views guys.

I can see mobile gaming taking off big time (mainly because most people actually own a mobile these days) and once the technology is there it will be HUGE as commented.

I also thing ergonomics are going to be important. On one hand it's got to be small enough to be a phone and on the other it has to support a good decent size screen and possibly some decent buttons or even a good d-pad.

Comment

I've got an X70. And the games are pretty crap to be honest. And worse than that they're bloody expensive. ?1.50 a game and then you have to pay for extras levels/bonus items (50p or 20p respectively). And even then you can only save one game at a time on the system (two if you include the preloaded game - Arkanoid rip-off). I've yet to see a Java enabled game so can't comment. But let's face it, these phones are just NOT the right size!!!

Comment

I don't think mobile gaming will be that huge. Just because people have a mobile, doesn't mean they will be that fussed with it the games side of it.

A vast number of people have Sky, but I don't think the take up rate for their TV games has been as much as expected.

Comment

Originally posted by Brats
                    A vast number of people have Sky, but I don't think the take up rate for their TV games has been as much as expected.
                    I second that. Sky is for sat tv and mobile phones are for making calls.

Yes they have secondary features (some very well integrated) but that doesn't stop the fact that some things just don't work. N-Cage anybody?

Comment

Working...
                    X