The game everybody should've played?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The game everybody should've played?

Is there a game or games you feel was underated?

Do you feel it deserved better?

Voice your reasons why you bought it, play it, love it and why everybody should've played it.

For me:

Saturn:Exhumed, it was a quality FPS for it's day and captured the atmosphere of ancient Egypt brilliantly.

When i come to think about it, in retrospect, it was quite like Metroid Prime. You searched and ofught for artifacts, which bestowed you new abilities. These new abilities let you explore previously unreachable areas of levels. You explored levels until nothing more was to be discovered. Life containers, magic containers etc.

And then you'd find Team Dolls, to collect all 23 was a nightmare undertaking, requiring skill, a guide* and most importantly patience.

The weapons on offer where well balanced, varied and suited the theme.

*there was no other way, they where that well hidden it was SICK.

I invested in Exhumed as it was fresh as a theme, worked flawlessly well for a FPS saturn game and all thanks to Lobotomy Software, who went on to knock out cracking conversions of Duke Nukem and Quake. Not to mention a little title called Death Tank.

Exhumed was cool. I still cry today that the vast majority of people never got to experience the awe and wonder that was Deathtank Zwei. Besides needing a Saturn and two of three specific games, you also needed a multitap and six or seven pads to get the most out of it. It wasn't happeneing for most people.

Comment

And the game everyone should have played is....

Twisted Metal World Tour on PS1!!!

What a game! More fun than a fun thing!

Ok, so I'm not going to make reviewer of the year or anything - but trust me it rocked, and nobody cared...

Comment

Deathtank has a lot of memorys for me. Me and my mates used to play a long time ago and only recently started playing again.

And you kow what, its every bit as good as I remember.

Only thing is, theres not enough Blitz Ronds or Alien weapons

Comment

Jagged Alliance 2 was a great game on the PC that nobody bought. It wasn't critically underrated - I seem to remember it getting decent reviews - but I've hardly spoken to anyone else whose played it.

Basically its a mix of big-picture strategy, squad level combat and an RPG. You have to liberate a island and are pretty much left to do it how you choose.

You can buy it now on budget for a fiver and believe me its an absolute bargain.

Comment

No-one can take me at Deathtank Which reminds me, I wrote the FAQ for the game -> http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/saturn/game/21840.html

Comment

Why have we got two "underrated games" threads?

Comment

Originally posted by Chadruharazzeb
                Why have we got two "underrated games" threads?

http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/viewtopic.php?t=2438
                End of world imminent. Hanging's not good enough for them.

Jay

Comment

Hmmm let's see ...

Street Racer - SNES - OK, admittedly not better than mariokart, but believe me it's *this* close and sufficiently different to avoid being labelled a clone.

Silent Scope - DC - If there is one DC game I will never tire of, it is this. I'm not saying it had bad reviews or anything, but this is one of the *essential* DC games.

Turmoil - Spectrum - Sorry for the retro stuff. Forget Jet Set Willy, this is easily the best platformer on the rubbery wonder.

Shaolin's Road - arcade. One of Konami's finest creations. Rarely discussed and not often featured on retro packs.

Pacland - arcade. Don't be fooled by the crayola style graphics.

Tokyo Xtreme Racer - DC - OK, so there's only one track. So what? This street racing classic is superb, and so much better than GT3 despite its six million cars.

Jay

Comment

1942 (arcade)

Comment

The only fault with Tokyo Extreme Racer was its awful handling. Laden with understeer, it was frustrating at the best of times. I remember waiting until a potential opponent and myself had cleared a tough corner and were on a straight before challenging them, just to avoid having to try and take the corner at race pace and instead bounding off the outside wall. Otherwise a fantastic game. Customisation (particularly on the aerodynamics of each car) is particularly impressive

Comment

Originally posted by Chief
                        The only fault with Tokyo Extreme Racer was its awful handling. Laden with understeer, it was frustrating at the best of times. I remember waiting until a potential opponent and myself had cleared a tough corner and were on a straight before challenging them, just to avoid having to try and take the corner at race pace and instead bounding off the outside wall. Otherwise a fantastic game. Customisation (particularly on the aerodynamics of each car) is particularly impressive
                        Very true. Especially so with a steering wheel. I see it as part of the learning curve though. With most racing games, you have to allow a period for becoming accustomed to the particular handling characteristics of the game, and TXR is no different. Admittedly, a little less understeer would have made the game less frustrating. Still a nice game though, and the whole illegal street racing challenge concept puts it a notch above the likes of GT3 in my book.

Jay

Comment

Working...
                        X