• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by evilmatt
    Originally posted by rep
    Not on 50hz
    Yes, but who plays games on 50hz? Muppets thats who!
    And anyone with a PAL xbox and Halo, unless they like a jerky framerate. Because of the way they optimised it for 50hz UK TV's, even in 60hz, it's just 50/25 frames with every 5th one repeated to make 60/30. Hence the jerkiness.

Not to get OT but most people have anyway but what the hell are you on about? Halo was fully optimised for pal 50 tv`s and came of looking better than the ntsc version cause of the increase in resolution. Halo runs at 30fps in pal 50 same as ntsc, but there was a glitch with the pal version where they didn`t disable 60hz so it was forcing a 60hz signal in a pal 50 window. Your theory would of come into play if they didn`t bother optimising it, but seeing that they did, pal 50 in runs just as smooth as the ntsc version

Comment

Originally posted by Huggybear
      Originally posted by NeilMcRae
      Edge aren't muppets, the muppets were consistent. Edge should just change their name to The official Xbox Magazine

Regards,
      Neil.
      Very good, Neil... you may now sit down.

According to the database Edge have reviewed 57 Xbox games (probably not including the last three issues) and have given:

One 10.
      No nines.
      Five 8s.

All of which were PAL launch games, expect Jsrf which was released two weeks later and MotoGp a few moths later. (didn't include Rocky because it's multiplatform or the Ghost Recon Live review).

In the last three issues there have been two more 8s.

Woo-hoo! Teh Edge are biast!!!!111111

(Oh, and they gave Tekki/Steel Battalion a 6)
      ]

Yes, but this isn't reflected in the editorials that they do - Even the Xbox hospital edition was plauged with bias in my vew. Gamecube gets negativity in nearly every editorial, in 123 the game crashing issue is mentioned when I've +never+ experienced this on any game on the Gamecube whilst I have experienced on the Xbox:
      Ghost Recon bugs that were so bad they had to do a patch FFS! Splinter Cell bugs, Halo bugs - these don't get a mention but the Gamecube issues that don't exist do. Its not consistent, same goes for PS-2 but to a lesser extent.

Regards,
      Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Smeghead
        How come the fact that Halo does stuff no other "good" FPS makes it more innovative than if other great ones had done it? Is a release less important/relevant if it isn't AAA?
        Halo did nothing that hadn't been done before.

Neil.

Comment

Sorry there was absolutely nothing in Halo that hadn't been done before many times, in that respect it did not deserve a 10.
          Back to the innovation thing again then. Should it have to be innovative to get a ten? If yes, then the Wind Waker review is even more right. And whilst the cool things Halo did were individually to be found in various other games, none of them were in any other good games, and no other game had combined them in the same way to create a game so much more than the sum of its parts. And it feels like a totally different title to any other FPS, to me.

It has a multitude of issues WRT frame rate
          Not on 50hz

stability and camera clipping.
          Sounds like you have a dodgy console/copy. I've not experienced any problems, and I've played through it like 7 or 8 times.

Anyway, thats enough on this tired argument, I'm going to bask in the glory of six goals.
          Sorry but Halo slows like a central line train the minute more than two objects are on the screen, on legendary its a joke, even worse if you have more than one player on it. Camera clipping is an issue in some of the underground scenes, its not constant but it is there.

Neil.

Comment

Perhaps you should take your copy of Halo back to the shop, its seems to be clearly bugged. Apart from the final level, there was no slowdown whatsoever that I could see, and certainly none that effected the gameplay in any way.

Halo did nothing that hadn't been done before
            Thats right, except for raise the benchmarks in more areas of FPS gaming than I can care to count.

Anyways, this Halo debate has really been done to death, as has this thread. Im sure the opportunity for more Edge criticism will arise with the publication of issue 124 so until then, take care, have fun and see you same time same place in a month or so.

Comment

Working...
            X