Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes a Quality Title? Is there a definite answer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Electric Boogaloo

So even though we claim games like Zelda to be amazing, are we just kidding ourselves?
    Only if you're judging them by standards that are yet to be forfilled by anything else available. But if you judge it on its own merits, they are (mostly) the classics we believe them to be.

Comment

Yes, interesting point about controls Boogaloo - but if the commands were tapped into our brain waves would they be as fun?
      Is part of the fun getting used to/battling with the control scheme (or at least, mastering it)? Isn't the challenge part of it?

Anyway, I digress, I have to say I agree with the action -vs- experience divide of gaming - but as has been said in the thread, it's all about what the gamer is looking to get out of the game which makes it a 'quality title'. It's like music - sometimes you're in the mood for x, othertimes y. Sometimes I want a quick bash on Amplitude, othertimes I want to immerse myself and explore the Zelda world at a slower pace. Which, erm, has brought me back full-circle to 'fun'. I think a quality title is one which doesn't frustrate and grants the player a world where boundaries and interaction are clearly marked, and where that interaction becomes fun and the boundaries become invisible. Or something.

Comment

I just wanted to add to the Halo discussion having just played 'Halo' (the level) on my PC (I have it on both systems) on Legendary last night... oh my God, I forgot how fun it was!

I'd say the backgrounds/levels just constitute 'variety' rather than good design - meaning one day you're on a beach, the next you're in snowy valleys (stop sniggering at the copy n psate rooms at the back).

The AI, coupled with the variety of enemy which are complemented by the weapon balance/variety truly makes this game.
        Also the fact that weapons (different weapon types you might say) like 'melee' and 'grenade' which were always assigned to different weapon slots in the past are now available at the touch of a button adds a lot to it. As does the recharging shield which means that you don't get gradually worn away as the level goes on - each fresh encounter is a new battle that you have a chance to win.
        And I haven't even touched on the vehicles yet, which add their own brand of variety. :P
        The AI also makes sure you never get the exact same game twice (in the best set pieces, anyway) so that reloading/retrying becomes fun and varied instead of tedious and annoying.

Therefore, I guess the 'fun' in Halo is using different weapons to take out different enemies (which act differently each time) in different ways. Or something.

Comment

Id say its an amalgamation of sound and playability. graphics are not necessarily essential, as long as the visuals fit the subject and environment that all that matters graphically. Atmosphere is the key. Also originality helps a lot.

Its also the little things that makeit interesting, lil quirks and mannersims expressed in many japanese games have instant appeal. Stuff like this is not largly evident in Western made games. Thats the main crux of a good game in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
          X