Would you buy a PS2 now if..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Molloy
    Chipping the machine certainly makes sense. Buying it already chipped is good too because unless you're good with a soldering iron they'll charge you through the teeth to get it done.

/load nostagic mode

I remember back in 1990 when you could order the newest Shinobi game from the US at your local retailer and not have to wait 8 ****ing months for localisation.

Originally posted by Tokuda
    Molloy- you know your ****- arcade games are the way forward
    This man speaks the truth. People are tired of epic games that you spend as much time watching as playing. Arcade gaming is set for a big revival in a couple of years time.

I've been meaning to speak to you about DC games by the way Tokuda. Someone at shmups.com recommended you. Do you ship to Ireland? I'm hankering after some Mars Matrix and Bangai-O.
    Totally! I just hardly feel any compulsion to play `experience` games anymore- just the odd one will do me fine from now on. Games for me are about skill and scores and competitive challenges.

I do indeed ship to Ireland. just let me know what games you`re after and I`ll get some quotes to you.

Comment

Tanky plank , pick up a PS2 (preferably modded) from arcadey games, like fighters and shmups. The other two are better for adventure games.

Comment

Damn Molloy! You know what you like!

Mars Matrix is disgusting with the amount of ****e on screen! Love the game to bits.

Bangai-O is simply awesome. A really 'different' shooter. It's pretty funny too but only if you have the US or UK version. (They didn't bother much with the translation and it cracks me up everytime I play it.)

Smeghead: Why do you miss the DC? It's still here in our hearts and minds and if I can be bothered to get up, I can still touch it! The DC still has pride of place at the front of my console collection.

localboy: Where does it say you shouldn't reply to your own posts? It's a discussion afterall and a very valid one at that.
        All the games mentioned are the ones I own. Some Japanese some US. Get the PS2 chipped and you'll see what we all mean. Psyvariar is the sickest shooter ever, (yes, better than Ikaruga), and Ico is worth getting the machine for. DMC needs to be NTSC, Capcom were extremely lazy with the PAL port. Naughty Capcom!

In answer to your last question, I would rescue Psyvariar, Ico and I get a little burnt for Ace Combat 4 if I could still make it out alive..... lol

Comment

In fairness to Sega they're going to start treating us better in Europe once they resume publishing their own games. The people over at virtuafighter.com are livid that an American release date hasn't been set for Evo yet. I never thought I'd see the day when Yanks would be talking about PAL imports.

Don't give me a swelled head now. I'm only just learning about kicking it old school shmup styl?.

I discovered Robotron (twas way before my time) last month so I'm told that Bangai-O will be to my liking.

Comment

That's cool mate. Once you're done learning about it you'll never go back. Old school style shooters and fighters are the way forward.
            I love my Psyvariar to bits and will never part with it. Not even in 30 years when it's trading for ?10,000 on eBay! lol

Mars Matrix and Bangai-O are essential on the DC though. Real must-have titles in my book. Although it's getting harder to pick them up now.

Expect to pay ?30+ for a mint Jap copy and about ?25 for US. I haven't seen a UK version.... ever come to think of it.

Bangai-O is alot cheaper. Some PAL versions have sold for a mere ?3.99 on eBay recently. It's criminal but hey, for that price it's even better for you.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroRisk
              Smeghead: Why do you miss the DC? It's still here in our hearts and minds and if I can be bothered to get up, I can still touch it! The DC still has pride of place at the front of my console collection.
              I mean I miss the arcade gaming it brought.
              It's still one of my most used consoles.

Comment

Oh cool. I thought you were one of those people that had sold and moved on. I could never sell my chipped Jap DC. In fact, I'm thinking about buying a load of spare parts if my one ever dies.

The DC is awesome and I still play Bangai-O, Mars Matrix and SF3 3rd Strike regularly. F355 crops up quite a bit too.

Comment

In fact, I'm thinking about buying a load of spare parts if my one ever dies.
                  Pffft, lightweight.

Owning multiple machines is the way to go

I've got 3. No way I could go without my beloved DC.

Comment

Originally posted by C'
                    Pffft, lightweight.

Both lame :P at one point it was cheaper buyin DC bundles than the games seperate (Toys R Us DC + 10 games + VMU + Steering Wheel + Keyboard for ?109.99 anyone?) an so have 4 PAL DCs in the house and a lovely Jappy one.

I'm really after a link cable now I think to link up the F355 goodness.

Comment

Originally posted by Smeghead
                      Originally posted by C'
                      Pffft, lightweight.

Both lame :P at one point it was cheaper buyin DC bundles than the games seperate (Toys R Us DC + 10 games + VMU + Steering Wheel + Keyboard for ?109.99 anyone?) an so have 4 PAL DCs in the house and a lovely Jappy one.

Got the link cable and regularly play F355 and VOOT linked.

*casually knocks ball back over to smeghead's court*

Comment

Originally posted by C'
                        Originally posted by Smeghead
                        Originally posted by C'
                        Pffft, lightweight.

Got the link cable and regularly play F355 and VOOT linked.

*casually knocks ball back over to smeghead's court*
                        Samba with Maracas?

*fumbles ball back over net*

think we better get back on topic now?

Comment

For a 'party' console the DC still wipes the floor with the other 'next gen' consoles. imo it's still the daddy in terms of arcade games too.

GC for Nintendo games, DC when friends come round and an XBox for Halo ........ Counter Strike for the rest of the time. I'd luv a PS2 but seriously don't have the time

Comment

Going against the grain, but I think a chipped PAL PS2 (just got mine from will2003 - great work) also brings some fine adventures/rpgs. Dark Cloud 2 has started well, Breath of Fire V looks to be challenging and unusual (restart with gained experience and items etc if you die), Final Fantasy X-2 is very pretty and funny (may be more or less so when I can understand what's happening better), and I'm looking forward to the long hours watching and playing Xenosaga ... Plus you've got all the Playstation One classics in full screen and speed ...

Comment

Originally posted by Tokuda
                              Games for me are about skill and scores and competitive challenges.
                              So true.
                              Games these days take far too long to complete and I'm not sure if others agree but there's nothing more refreshing than coming home from work and getting that massive 5-10 arcade-like frill that requires nothing but pure skill.

The Beatmania IIDX series comes to mind here and I would class myself as average - It just feels so satisfying doing on of the harder tracks on high speed mode.
                              One of these days I will be as good as some of the best Japanese players on this game!

Anyway, some people will hate me for this but the PS2 is one of my favourite consoles. It's got such a large amount of decent games and back catalogue of great PSX games too.

I've got over 100 original PS2 games and it's really hard saying which ones are good as there are so many but here are some of my favourite PS2 games not mentioned as yet are...

Burnout 2
                              Ka
                              Gunvari Collection
                              Keisatsukan (Police 24/7) with the Capture Eye webcam!
                              Rez with the Trance Vibrator
                              Any of the Beatmania II DX series
                              DrumMania/Guitar Freaks series
                              Technic Beat (I know it's been mentioned but it's worth mentioning again just for all the cool arranged Namco tunes!)
                              Train Simulator Real: Yamanote Line
                              Plus many more and more to come in the near future...

Comment

Working...
                              X