Midnight Club 2 initial impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Midnight Club 2 initial impressions

first off i have never played Midnight Club 1 so can't compare the sequel to it

now thats out of the way

been playing this since Saturday and its not too shabby a racer - main mode of the game is called Career mode where you 'cruise' around a city looking for rivals to race. find one (signified by a big red arrow above their car) and you flash your headlights to challenge them - they will then set off on a mad rally through the streets with you having to follow them. finally they will stop and the racing begins (preceded by some amusing cutscenes)

game is set in 3 cities - LA, Paris and Tokyo - and they have a very GTA-esque feel to them - same gritty graphical style and lots of pedestrians and traffic about. lovely touch is when you knock down a lamp-post (you can knock them over unlike wreckless) - its crashes down the street with sparks flying from the bulb section

you start with one car - and earn more by beating your rivals. cars are modelled on real-life cars, but artistic license has been used a lot.

handling is very arcadey - took around 1 minute to get used to the first car and the other cars i have unlocked handle very similar.

nice sense of speed to the game - and when you finally get a nitro and use it - dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmnnn, the game gets quicker than burnout 2. lovely effect when you use the nitro, the view changes to a tunnel like view (weird to describe but damn good to see)

I can't play this game online yet (no network adapter) but i am looking to get one to experience this -- or i might just wait for xbox live when its released on the big X

camps

I'm looking forward to trying it on Xbox Live. I've read that if you challenge someone online and lose, you also lose your car. Man, talk about raising the stakes.

Comment

Quicker than burnout 2? Interestin . . .

Comment

What are the graphics like?

Comment

they are very GTA3-ish - less of the polygon ripping on the buildings though

camps

Comment

Is the Xbox version definately Xbox live compatible - I really hope so.

Comment

yep it is - with 5 extra game modes

just like to point out the AI is superb - cpu will take shortcuts etc and smash into things

also i was racing through LA when i hit my nitro - was flying down a straight when i came to a crossroads with a petrol tanker/truck thing in the way - i veered under the tanker section and took first place (cpu smashed into the truck) -- sheer buzz i must admit

camps

Comment

Sounds Good

Comment

Just been looking at this on Gameplay and didn't realise there's going to be a 2 month gap between PS2 release and X-Box release. Any idea why?

Looks like it'll be the PS2 version I pick up, especially as I've got the PS2 NA.

Comment

Originally posted by Wozza
                    Just been looking at this on Gameplay and didn't realise there's going to be a 2 month gap between PS2 release and X-Box release. Any idea why?

Looks like it'll be the PS2 version I pick up, especially as I've got the PS2 NA.
                    Takes time to do a port.

Comment

Working...
                    X