Maxium Chase (JPN Xbox) - A retrospective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maxium Chase (JPN Xbox) - A retrospective

Okay. August 2002, Microsoft Japan release the Genki developed car chase / shooting game Maximum Chase. Of course, I want a copy, and after a month of harassing the nice people at VGI, it lands on my doorstep. I play it, and I'm thrilled. "This," I say to myself, "is something special." All in all, it takes me probably three hours to complete it, but I really don't mind because, over the course of those three hours, I was completely enthralled. Immediately, I play it through a second time, then begin trying for high scores and repeating stages to try and record the perfect replay.

A few months later, interested to know what others thought, I took a look around for reviews. GameFAQs aside, the only other review was a rather crushing 3/10 from Gamestyle. I then learn that this game is not highly regarded at all, but is in fact the source of much derission. "Yet another Microsoft Japan **** up." As far as I can tell, no magazines have reviewed Maximum Chase, dispite its import friendliness. Even Microsoft appear to have abondoned it, with no US or EU release date in sight. In short, I'm totally puzzled.

Now, to me, Maximum Chase represents a real masterpiece of arcade gaming. It's clear as you play it that the game has been such a labour of love. The handling model is flawless, pure arcade. The collision system is possibly the best vehical combat system I've played. And it's not even the central focus of the game. The first time that you destroy an enemy car by running it into a parked truck is a moment that you'll never forget. Everything about the way the levels are designed is geared towards keeping the excitement up. And the art direction is superb, evoking the atmosphere of the 70s car chase films that the game is trying to clone perfectly, going so far as to include suitable licenced cars with dammage. Most importantly, it succeeds as an arcade game by providing the factors that make a good arcade game - Learnable skills that can be applied to score-based achievement and a visual performance reward for skillful play. "Well," you say, "what about the shooting sections." Well, while they certainly wouldn't stand up as a game on their own, as a component of the whole that is Maximum Chase, they serve their purpose as well as could be expected without lightgun support. They're far from weak, and give a more considered change of pace to the pure adrenaline rush driving segments. To top it all off, an extensive collection of unlockables are offered as a long term goal for players who take the time to perfect their driving and shooting.

Okay, that's what I think of the game. Now I'd like to know, given the general opinion: Am I deluding myself, or is this really the underrated gem that I believe it to be?

Later.

Genki have always been a love hate affair from what I know of them.

I was really looking forward to the game, but as u said, it never made it to our shores :/

I loved Tokyo Highway Challenge/Shotokou Battle on the Dreamcast despite magazines slating it left right and centre, I think the best score it got in UK press was 5/10 yet for me, it was one of the best racers in the world. Just coz press don't like it. Doesn't make it a bad game, if you yourself like it, u can't be deluding yourself as whether a game is good or not is a very personal opinion. If you love it thats great, let every1 else miss out, makes it even more special to you

Comment

Working...
    X