Super Mario Advance 4 card-E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Mario Advance 4 card-E

After months of hopeless searching i finally managed to get hold of a complete set of series 1&2 of these cards and im glad to say that they were well worth tracking down.

After playing with them all week i have discovered just how much more fun they make super mario advance 4. There are 3 types of cards in the series, course cards, help cards & demo cards.

Demo cards when scanned show mini movies showing you how to do a particular trick like finding the secret white toad house or how to get inf 1ups in a level. Here are a few pics of some demo cards.

The next set of cards are the help cards, these cards instantly give you items or affect the game rules. Using these cards you can get the cape feather from super mario 4 and get the all new boomerang powerup, these items add so much fun to a already excellent game.

However too much use of the help cards can make the game far too easy as you have access to every powerup in the game at a single swipe. There are also switch cards that change the game rules giving interesting effects like doubling the points of every enemy you kill with the added bonus of replacing all the enemies in the levels with harder versions. Or there is another that places grass clumps throught the game allowing you to chuck vegetables at enemies like super mario 2. Some switch cards affect the timer giving you more time to play in a level or halving the size of the power bar allowing you to fly without a big run up. Heres some pics of the help cards.

Finally the last (& the best) cards are the course cards. These beauties contain brand new levels for you to play. The simplest way to describe these levels is like having the worlds of super mario bros 2,3 & 4 collide together the new levels borrow sprites from all these games to make somthing totally new & crazy. These are not just plain old super mario bros 3 levels with a few new sprites these are totally new & original. Also in each level there are hidden advance coins to find and well hidden in most levels there is a E coin as well. Collecting these opens up even more secrets. Heres some pics.

Its a shame that the uk version of super mario advance 4 had the e-reader function removed as it adds so much to the game. Hopefully at some stage i plan on getting one of those GBA memory backup sticks that allow you to backup your GBA game save data. That way anyone who has a japanese copy of super mario advance 4 & wants all the e-reader levels just has to use my backup stick to unlock it all in their copy.

Please excuse me if i seem to be rambling, i just had to tell everybody how cool these are.

I guess you really wanted the Japanese versions eh?

I've had the complete US set for months now heh... btw how many are in the Japanese set? As there are 43 for the US including the bonus "Walmart only" ones...
    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

There are 50 cards in series 1 & 50 cards in series 2.

I only have 3 promo mario advance 4 e-cards and they were all from coro coro comics.

Comment

importaku, you've done it again.
        Again I'm spending money on stuff I can't afford because of you.

Am I right in thinking they are like the Animal Crossing cards in that they are random and you need to buy multiple packs of the same series to get the entire set?

Those extra levels sound cool.
        Tronix here I come...

Comment

Yeah sadly they are random in the japanese packs, not sure about the us versions.

Heres the 3 japanese promo cards that coro coro comics released. As far as i know these are the only japanese promos so far.

The 100 UP Mushroom (for those who just cant get enough lives)

This one is known as airships revenge in america.

I dont know the english name for this one but i do know its a pain to do as the entire floor for the level is covered in spikes.

Comment

Yeah they were fixed in the US. You got 18 per series (x2 series), 3 free with Mario 3 Advance, and the Walmart version of the game gave you another 4 (the ONLY place you could get them from).

Comment

So if I buy 1 pack of Series 1 and 2, alongside Mario 3, I'll have virtually every card in the series? Quality if that's the case.

One thing I'm a bit confused about is how you actually use them. I'm sure I read the e-reader option was taken out of PAL Mario 3, but assuming you've got Mario 3 plugged in the Gameboy how can you use the e-reader?

Comment

I've never been sure whether E-reader cards are a genuinely cool innovation or just a way of scamming us out of our money...

Plus the reader doesn't connect to gamecubes when used with an SP, doh! I had to borrow my mate's Gameboy to scan my Animal Crossing cards.

Comment

You can connect a e-reader in a gba sp to the gamecube you simply plug the gba/gc link cable into the back of the gba sp instead of connecting it to the e-reader.

Yeah i kind of know what you mean about wether e-cards are nintendo's little way of milking us for more cash, but this time i personally think they are worth it for mario advance 4. I have some doubutsu no mori+ ones and you dont get much out of those just items that can be gotten in the game by playing normally.

Oh and to Bowser123, you need to have 2 gameboy advances to use the mario advance 4 ecards or you could use a gba and gamecube with a gb player instead. mario advance 4 goes in one gba and the e-reader goes in the other then you connect them together with a link cable. Oh and you will need the same region game & e-cards as the e-reader is region protected it wont accept cards from japan and vice versa.

I'm pretty sure the ereader feature was removed from the pal version of super mario advance 4 but i cant 100% say for sure.

I must admit it's quite a lot of hardware to use the cards, why they didnt put a cart slot on the e-reader i'll never know.

Comment

I went to san francisco a couple of weeks ago and the SuperMario3 e-Reader cards were at the top of my list of things to buy. Unfortunately, i couldn't find any e-Reader cards at all.

Where can i get hold of the US versions of series 1 & 2 of the Mario3 cards? Does anyone know if Nintendo are releasing anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by importaku

I have some doubutsu no mori+ ones and you dont get much out of those just items that can be gotten in the game by playing normally.
                      You do get some cool games like 'Fireworks Night', though, where you have to scan in the animal you think will be best at launching the firework. The three-legged race gamecard uses a similar concept. Some animals are better than others, and if you pick the best one you're given a code for an item. It reminded me of Barcode Battler, in a good way. That could be seen as a good use of the e-reader (I suppose).

Comment

Cheers for clearing that up importaku about what I'll need to use the cards. It is pretty shocking that I'll need 2 GBA's, but I assume they think that on the basis that if I'm prepared to buy an e-reader and cards then I'll probably have a standard GBA and a SP (which I have).

As for getting the cards, the excellent Tronix are currently out of stock but are accepting more orders. They don't have any at the moment but are usually good for getting stuff back in quickly.
                        They also inform you if they can't get it or if there will be a long delay which is also good, they don't just leave you hanging like DVD Box.

Comment

I got the Walmart SBM3 Advance and both series of extra e-Reader cards off eBay in one lot, so I bought all of them at the same time! Only cost me ?25 as well... so I suggest that might be the best place to look.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku
                            I'm pretty sure the ereader feature was removed from the pal version of super mario advance 4 but i cant 100% say for sure.
                            It's still in the UK version of Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire, but then it's a hidden option, so I guess they either didn't think people'd find it or weren't aware of it themselves.

Comment

Just updated my site, there is now a E-reader+ section with scans of every japanese super mario advance 4 e-card there is up till the present moment.

Still lots to finish as most of the descriptions are missing or half done but the help cards have all been done, so you can find out what you get when you swipe them.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/importa...rd%20list.html

Comment

Working...
                              X