Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phantom- looking great- and its free!

from gamespy.com

This actually looks better than I could have imagined, the fact that it is free with a sub at $29.99 a month looks good, but do u have to pay for games on top of that?

The Phantom Strikes
    Infinium Labs' Kevin Bacchus reveals new details on the service, capabilities, design, and pricing of the company's forthcoming Phantom console.
    By Raymond Padilla | May 9, 2004

Infinium Labs has been so maligned and highly criticized that it was reduced to a joke told around the water cooler ? until Kevin Bacchus joined the company. When you recruit one of the founding fathers of the Microsoft Xbox, people pay attention and all of the sudden you're viewed in an entirely different light. When Bacchus first started with the company, he did some meet-and-greet sessions with the press, but held off on doling out specific information until he could nail down a strategy for Infinium's Phantom console. He's finally ready to reveal the details and I got to catch up with him to hear some very interesting and potentially exciting news about the Phantom.

The Hardware

All the tech heads out there will be pleased to finally learn what's inside the Phantom. The plans are to have 2.5 GHz x86 CPU, DirectX 9 compatible GPU with 128 MB of RAM, DirectX 9 compliant sound with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, 256 MB of system RAM (which Bacchus claims is roughly equivalent to a PC's 512 MB since Phantom runs Windows XP Embedded), and a 40 GB hard drive. The system will be broadband only and work with any ISP, will be HDTV compatible, and have a dynamic user interface that's customizable for age, gender, or technical expertise. On paper, this is a very capable machine that should run PC games admirably on a television.

The bigger surprise is the machines industrial design. Prototypes of the Phantom were ugly -- I'm talking uglier than Xbox ugly (which in turn is almost Fragmaster ugly). What Bacchus showed me was a really slick-looking system that's elegant in its simplicity. Just take a gander at the pictures. This is a sweet and simple-looking piece of consumer electronics that'll you'll want to show off in your home entertainment system.

The Controller

Since the Phantom will play PC games, control is a big issue. After all, these games were -- by and large -- designed to be controlled with a keyboard and mouse. Even though the system includes a standard, console-type gamepad, it will also come with a cleverly designed keyboard/mouse combo. At first glance, it looks like a normal keyboard with just a bit of mouse pad space on the right-hand side (the side Musical Youth is averse to). However, the keyboard is hinged and tilts up, allowing the space under it to be used as a full mouse pad. If you don't understand what the hell I'm trying to describe, just look at the picture.

The typing angle is actually more ergonomic and should be comfortable for WASD commands, while having the mouse pad under it lets the whole setup sit comfortably on your lap. It's a very novel design, but I'll wait until I actually try it before I declare this keyboard/mouse combo a miracle of gaming.

The Price

Now that you've possibly been intrigued by the hardware specs and the controller, I'm sure you're wondering how much the Phantom is going to set you back. The Infinium Phantom is free ? with a two-year subscription to its gaming service. The cost for basic service -- which includes a constantly growing library of games still to be announced -- is $29.95 per month. There are also premium content packages available. The price for newer games will be set by their individual publishers and should range from $20 to $40. Game rentals will be around $5 for three days of gaming. If you opt not to commit to a contract, the Phantom hardware costs $199.

The key here is to realize that the Phantom is less about the hardware and more about the service. What's unique about this system is that it will give you instant access to a broad library of games. It's like combining the best facets of cable television, TiVo, and iPod/iTunes with a game console. If the library is as expansive and the service is as simple as Bacchus hopes it will be, then this might be a really attractive system for mainstream and hardcore gamers alike. Casual fans will enjoy its simplicity, while veterans will be able to feed their gaming needs whenever they strike.

Still TBA

Bacchus is being very deliberate in how much information he's releasing about the Phantom. At this time he revealed hardware specs, pricing information, and a release date (November 18, 2004). What he hasn't revealed are what games will be available on the service and who Infinium's launch partners will be. He's saving that information for August. Be sure to check back with GameSpy when E3 kicks off. I'll be stopping by Infinium's booth to get some hands-on time with the Phantom. For now, it's imperative to check out GameSpy's video interview with Kevin Bacchus to learn more about the Phantom.

Looks smart.

Comment

That looks nice in a 'not very original' kind of way. The mouse/keyboard thing looks interesting. I'm presuming that the controllers have a daisychain ability so you can connect more than one.

Comment

Only 40GB? Whats that, 15 games?

Comment

Originally posted by Olympichero
          Only 40GB? Whats that, 15 games?
          But its based on a download subscription, so you just delete games when you're bored of them, but if you decide you'd like another shot of one you've deleted you can just download it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Deltatri3
            Prototypes of the Phantom were ugly -- I'm talking uglier than Xbox ugly (which in turn is almost Fragmaster ugly).
            Glad to see Fragmaster is still the butt of all the jokes at Gamespy.

You know Boog's avatar which he got off my website? I got that off PlanetQuake about 5 years ago, and the caption was 'Fragmaster's really looking forward to Quakecon!'

Comment

No way will that thing sell, its already crowded with Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft as well as rumors Sega is about to give it another shot.

Also surely PCs are cheap enough now to buy one for gaming, you can get a good gaming spec one for under ?400.

Comment

Good gaming spec PC for under ?400

This appears to be a good way for people who can't afford massive lump payments to get a PC for playing games.

Although I have no idea if people will take to it though. I think they will probably just consider it another console at first and dismiss it.

Also without broadband its going to be hell to download the games

Comment

I just don't see a machine built around downloadable content appealing to the massmarket. You don't get the same feeling of ownership as you do from something you can pick up and hold.

Not to mention other, more practical concerns. How reliable is the service going to be? How long will they support it if it doesn't meet target sales figures? No details about commited publishers, with just six months to go until release.

And so on.

Comment

If what they're actually selling is a subscription service, why didn't they gear it toward the millions of people who already own computers instead of giving their own computers away with it? It doesn't make sense. That's big chunks of money they're wasting for everyone who decides to take them up on the offer. I don't see this being sustainable unless they have pockets as deep as Microsoft and are willing to hemorrhage money.

Comment

Originally posted by Deltatri3
                      At first glance, it looks like a normal keyboard with just a bit of mouse pad space on the right-hand side (the side Musical Youth is averse to).
                      Not anticipating any sales to us left-handed people, then? I still think this is kind of terminally scuppered by the fact that no-one is going to want to pay a subscription of that size when they already fork out ?20-?30 for broadband a month, and most people with broadband will have a PC anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by mid
                        Not anticipating any sales to us left-handed people, then?
                        It looks as though the keyboard swivels so I imagine it spins 180 degrees for us lefties

Comment

Working...
                        X