This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Attitudes - Sexism

I went to a Video Games Masterclass... which was supposed to be about how to get in to the industry. My first degree is in Computer Science (2.1) and I am currently doing my Masters in Electronic Information... so you'd think I would have every reason to be there... but wait I'm female.

According to the speaker from Nokia - QA for the Ngage... I'm not supposed to like computer games... I'm supposed to be too busy trying to decide what to cook for tea - and therefore not have the attention span. He actually said - in front of eveyone. I can't explain how alienated I felt.

The rest of the panel agreed - and thought that perhaps Barbie and 'pink' games should be my thing... not FPS which I love.

I think I might actually write a complaint letter to Nokia. I can't believe that bad attitudes like that still exist in the Game Industry. This guy from Nokia actually interviews potential employees too.

That is trruly shocking. You'd think they'd be happy to have you there.

I don't know what's worse, the fact that the Nokia speaker actually came out and said something so insulting and patronising, or the fact that his panel agreed with him and no-one saw his remarks as wrong in any way.

So much for the fabled "level playing field".

Comment

Well there's lots of other things Nokia are unaware of in regards to the gaming scene

I like to hope on the whole games developers recognise that women can enjoy more than dance mat games! I guess the point is that most gamers are predominatly male, as a lady what recognition would you like to be given to yourself as a gamer? Do you want to see games being made any different for yourself?

Comment

I certainly don't want to be seen any differently at all. I like games, I am a gamer, it was only this stupid panel that picked on the issue of female gamers -not me.

I have loved gaming since the age of 7... and much prefer the Hack n Slash or FPS genre... I don't 'get' puzzle games - but I do understand there is a market for them.

I just don't want to be judged when people look at me.

Comment

And we all know Nokia are at the forefront of gaming at this time and seem to know exactly what current gamers want

Don't give this pricks comments a second thought. Whether it be alienating all females, or people who enjoy playing Gameboy, Nokia don't have a clue.

Comment

Of course, this is the same Nokia that publically stated that the reason the NGage would be a big success was that no-one over the age of 12 would want to use a GBA SP, and that the best way to advertise multiplayer gaming is pictures of desolate, miserable landscapes devoid of all signs of life. The fact that they are sexist as well as stupid comes as no surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by AllYourBase
              Well there's lots of other things Nokia are unaware of in regards to the gaming scene
              Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha !

If it had been me sitting there having to listen to that crap, I think I would have stood up and told him that.

Cheeky bastard. Is it any wonder the N-gage is a spectacular flop if the company has backwards attitudes like that ?

I wouldn't let that guys attitude bother you. Instead pity him for being such a retard.

Comment

I do realise the irony of the Quality Assurance manager for the Ngage talking rubbish.

But it still upset me... so I might write to Nokia and ask them if his views represent that of the whole company... and if not what are they going to do about it?

There is no way that someone who interviews potential employees can be allowed to say things like that.

Comment

I went and left after 20 minutes.

I was bored as I am deaf and it seem to be about career advice. I also saw 2 game on Projector - Colin McRae Rally 4 and No Fear Downhill Mountain biking game (I think) and decided I am better off going elsewhere.

I don't know what the speech are like or if they are any good.

Comment

Originally posted by cinabar
                    I do realise the irony of the Quality Assurance manager for the Ngage talking rubbish.

But it still upset me... so I might write to Nokia and ask them if his views represent that of the whole company... and if not what are they going to do about it?

There is no way that someone who interviews potential employees can be allowed to say things like that.
                    Do it. Out of principle if nothing else.

Comment

aww I thought this was a topic about Mr T.....

Anyway you should definately write and complain, what have you got to lose?

Comment

What a prick. Some people are backwards, and perhaps the panel were intimidated which is why they agreed. Remember though, that's just the opinion of a tiny minority of people. Agreed, it shouldn't happen at all, but they are just twats living in the stone age.

It's wrong that you were singled out, and in the long run that;ll be to thier demise. **** them! They should be happy that a fermale gamer is present as they could speak to you and learn why the female market is smaller than the male one, and potentially create a whole new area of gaming, currently un tapped by other industry successes.

**** them!

Comment

I bet it's an idiot like that who came up with the wonderful idea of 'pink games' in the first place.

Comment

It's surprising how some people stay employed at all. Don't employers realise that these attitudes spoken in public will be taken as a reflection of the company's views?

I'm amazed and appalled at how bad a public relation job some people in the industry are doing. This Nokia representative has clearly no clue and (as mentioned before) their ad campaign with the dreary, sad and lonesome imagery (transmitting the atmosphere of scenes of crime) might be an indication that this holds true for Nokia in general.

More outrageous even, that this guy did talk about the issue of women and gaming in such a moronic way when there was at least one female in the room.

If you're in a spontaneous mood it's best to speak up immediately I believe, but making your voice heard by contacting Nokia afterwards might tell them too that they're judged by what they say .

Comment

I'd definitely write a letter of complaint to somebody high up in Nokia. If you don't get an immediate apology, consider firing some off to a few magazines - maybe Edge, a couple of gadget/tech mags and any women's lifestyle ones you think might be interested. Get this turd to account for himself.

Comment

Working...
                              X