No announcement yet.

Are shorter games better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might prefer shorter games, if they cost relatively less as well. 60-odd hours enjoying the worlds of Wind Waker, or Neverwinter Nights, costs the same as 5 hours within Luigi's Mansion... guess why I haven't bought the latter title yet? (Although yes I know it's on budget now )

It depends entirely on the type of game really. An epic adventure type game, you will feel ripped-off if it finishes in an evenings playing. But the likes of an arcadey shooter, doesn't need to be so long because you will replay for higher scores or unlocking extras. I personally still prefer the slightly longer games, although perhaps not as long as I used to (NWN being a case in point - a chapter too long I thought,) the theory being that if the game is really good then I'll want to keep playing as long as it remains enjoyable. Some kind of balance within a title - whereby it lasts a long time if you want it to without feeling padded out, or you can play it in short bursts without feeling that you are missing out on the bulk of the game - is the holy grail I suppose. WW seems to me somewhere nearer this ideal than previous Zelda games, in that the main quest can be completed somewhat quicker, but if you get involved in all the side quests it still has many hours of game in there.

Comment

Personally i like a bit of mix and match.Zelda and shenmues are ones i'll always have time for, but other longer games i'll only play if they're really good and absorbing, but at the same time i need some short pick up and play for 30mins type games in between.

Comment

I think the game length discussion kind of ties in with the mastery question elsewhere; Big games (ie 60-hour-epics) usually don't require much skill so you just wander from A to B in about 60 hours wihtout much difficulty, whereas a shorter game will test your skills more.
        So you can spend 60 hours on a 60 hour game (that everyone can complete)
        Or you spend 60 hours on a 4 hour game and end up a Master.
        Depending on what you value as reward (mastery or 30 minute FMV sequence/cutscene) you'll choose your length of game.

Comment

Originally posted by Marvelon
          I think the game length discussion kind of ties in with the mastery question elsewhere
          I thought that too, but this thread went up first

Regarding 60 hours on Wind Waker - 5 Hours on Luigi's Mansion, you are encouraged to replay Luigi's Mansion, and are you sure Wind Waker is a whopping 60 hours? I'd have said closer to 15-20.

I'd much rather have a 10 hour game I loved from start to finish, than a 20 or 30 hour title I loved parts of, then found others so-so. And I really like games which can be completed in one sitting, but offer a bit more substance than an all out arcade game, something like JSR I love to play right thru in one go, I've probably completed it about 20 times now from start to finish, might only be a 4 hour or so game which for ?40 would seem a rediculous price, but multiply that 4 hours x 20 an I spent a good 80 hours on it, which = better value than even a whopping 60 hour RPG which I'd most likely only ever play through once.

Comment

Working...
          X