Logitech PS2 steering wheels - advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logitech PS2 steering wheels - advice please

I'm considering getting the GT Force or Driving Force wheel, but after I hardly used the DC wheel, I wonder if anyone can give me some advice.

a, does anyone think there is a better PS2 wheel out there?

b, apart from the d-pad and buttons, are there any other differences between the GT3 wheel and the Driving Force one?

c, do the d-pad and buttons get in the way on the Driving Force wheel?

d, Is the Force Feedback any good? I've read that its very weak and not really worth the effort.

e, how useful is the lap stabilizer thingie (does this only come with the Driving Force version)?

f, are the pedals as nasty and plasticky as they look? This is the thing that is most putting me off buying one.

I don't really play GT3, but Tokyo Highway Challenge 0 sees quite a bit of action, and Initial D would be much cooler with a wheel. Anyone know if there will be a Initial D + wheel set released?

Thanks for any help.

does no one have a Logitech wheel?

Comment

a, does anyone think there is a better PS2 wheel out there?

b, apart from the d-pad and buttons, are there any other differences between the GT3 wheel and the Driving Force one?

c, do the d-pad and buttons get in the way on the Driving Force wheel?

d, Is the Force Feedback any good? I've read that its very weak and not really worth the effort.

e, how useful is the lap stabilizer thingie (does this only come with the Driving Force version)?

f, are the pedals as nasty and plasticky as they look? This is the thing that is most putting me off buying one.
      a. No. The driving force is the best wheel for PS2.

b. No not really. The later model (driving force) benefits greatly from the extra buttons though. Get it.

c. No.

d. The force feedback is great. It's not 'weak' in any way. I would imagine its not as good as a ?100 feedback wheel but you get what you pay for.

e. Utterly useless. You NEED a desk to attach it to. (The lap thing is an optional clip on component. I think it was added for the retail df version)

f. The pedals are plastic but I have no problems with them.

One thing that you should be aware of. Using the wheel & pedals is a lot more physically tiring than using a pad. The force feedback adds to this effect. Due to this you may find prolonged gaming sessions become a bigger chore when using the wheel.

Comment

when i used to have a ps2,i bought a thrustmaster ferrari pc forcefeedback wheel.i tried both and the difference is huge the logitech wheel feels cheap and like a toy,where as the thrustmaster wheel has strong forcefeedback,excellent pedals and clamps and a seperate sequential gear lever.There is one major problem though because its not official it doesnt work with all the games,i rented and tried it with burnout and wrc both didnt work but i only really bought it to use with gt3(it works with a few others too check the thrustmaster website),with which it worked perfectly with,although you pointed out u dont really play gt3 so i guess your really stuck with the logitech wheel.get one 2nd hand there worth ?40

Comment

I have the original GT3 wheel here.

a. not imho, I've yet to sample a better wheel on any system. It works a charm on the PC too.

b.
          c.

d. ff is excellent. It easily pulls your arms about, as u hit curbs and stuff. The feedback to let you know what the car is doing is immensely accurate (imho). You know exactly what the arse of the car is doing, and there is a constant feedback to let u know about changing road surfaces etc.

e. sorry, don't know what this is. Mine has some vice like things which clamp the wheel to the desk

f. The pedals are plastic, but the base is very heavy and doesnt move about much (even in my weird almost lying down F1 style setup I have.

GT3 is quite something else with the wheel. I suspect it's the closest I'll get to rallying.

Comment

Anyone know if there will be a Initial D + wheel set released?
            I think there is,check here

Comment

Thats the Gran Turismo FF wheel with a niffty bit that fits between your legs....

Cool...

I've got the GT wheel and as Stu said. There is no better wheel out there.

Get it you won't regret it, i still play burnout 2 with it to this day and it's great and with Initial D on the horizon i wouldn't use anything else.

Comment

Apparently the Driving Force (i.e. the one thats easy to find) has a problem with the calibration on the pedals in GT3, though I've not noticed it. I have noticed that the gear levers don't work on full lock in GT3, however. If you could find a GT Force you'd be better off.

For WRC2 though its perfect. Lovely work.

Comment

Wow, excellent, thanks very much to everyone for the advice. Thats answered all my questions

I'd heard about the gear shift problems too, a little worrying. Can anyone else confirm that the problem is limited to the Driving Force version and not the GT Force?

If anyone else is interested in buying the Driving Force version Virgin Megastore are doing them for ?50 at the moment (I've seen them in London and Birmingham), they used to be ?80.

cex do the GT Force version without the d-pad 2nd hand for ?55, or its ?70 at HMV

That Initial D pack looks like the best solution - GT Force wheel with the lap stabilizer included (useless as it might be, I'll not be able to use a table right away). I'm going to see if I can get hold of one of those. The price is good too.

Cheers all

Comment

Working...
                  X