Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS2 - laser probs....need advice plz

lo all,

fitted a swaplid to a Ps2 for a bloke at work, about 6 weeks ago - been all ok till now. Firstly his dvd boot disc wouldn't work, but works ok on my PS2 - now he says that his games (originals) either won't load, or if they do then they lock up after a while, (Cdr's no go at all)

Have had a root round and found how to clean and adjust the laser pots - however it seems that once the pots have been adjusted then the life of the laser is reduced - i feel obliged to help this bloke out as he has no tech knowledge at all - i know he has been using backup cdr's, as well as original games.

What i need tho is some sites that will sell me a PS2 replacement lense if the adjustment doesn't work - preferably in the uk.
    The PS2 model is a V7 -

Any info on this would be most appreciated, as this bloke is looking to me to solve these problems, as i fitted the swap lid for him in the first place - how i wished i never bothered.....

thx fellas

Try http://www.divineo.co.uk/cgi-bin/div-uk/search.html for a replacement

Comment

thx, but the lasers they sell are only for V1-V4

Comment

Almost certainly the issue is that he's got his flip lid fitted and has done nothing but play copies on really low quality cheap recordable media. The laser has to work so much harder due to the low refectivity of these budget discs. Add to that the likelihood that he's been playing DVD rippped games on CD-R, where the files are often relinked really sloppily, making the drive have to work much harder to scan the disc to find the files, and you end up putting a huge strain on the laser. The symptoms you describe are exactly those of a laser on the way out due to such abuse. You can adjust the 2 pots that are on the underside left of the laser mech, but doing this will only prolong the life of the laser a while - in my experience you can only tweak it once or twice, giving it about a month of regular-ish use each time, until it dies for good

This is why I won't work on any old PS2s, V4 and back, as the laser is even more delicate and susceptable to this problem than the newer ones. It's also why I try to tell people whose machine I mod to avoid DVD rips like the plague, and only use the best branded media for their backups - Verbatim and TDK are the best, Sony and Phillips good too. It's pointless to compromise and use other brands as those 4 are not hard to find.

Hope that helps!

Will.

Comment

Try a dvd lens cleaner first! you can get one from Wilkinsons for about ?4...it has a funny little brushy thing on the bottom of the dvd...which i guess cleans the lens...my mates works fine...before it was skippin like a mofo.

Comment

Working...
          X