Twin Sticks building help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twin Sticks building help

I'm planning on building a Twin Sticks thing for the upcoming Virtual-On game, Marz. This is more as a project for me than for the game, since I haven't actually played any of the previous VO games. So I have a few questions for those that have or have done similar projects.

1. Are the two joysticks an 8-way or similar stick, or are they more like the go-anywhere analogue sticks on PS2s and such?

2. Are there any cheap joysticks or flightsicks, PC, arcade or whatever, that emulate the Twin Sticks design? I mean the actual shape of the sticks themselves.

3. How big, roughly, is the whole panel and the space between the two sticks?

My idea is two get a cheap PS1 dualshock controller and mode the analogue sticks to hold the new VO sticks. Then I'll put in a couple of buttons into the VO sticks and run the wires down the sticks. Then wire the new buttons into the L1, L2, R1 and R2 spaces on the controller's PCB. Any ideas on whether this'll work or not? I'm going to use the control system shown below:

There is an official Sony (ps1) analogue twinstick.
    You'd have to pick it up via ebay or trade.

I found this link while mooching round google too.

Comment

VO sticks are digital. I think you would have trouble mapping digital to analogue. If you can find a configuration that avoids the analogue element this will save mucking about. Use a PSOne pad as well since the 'pressure' sensetive PS2 dualshocks are rubbish for hacking to.

Comment

Originally posted by yashiro
        There is an official Sony (ps1) analogue twinstick.
        You'd have to pick it up via ebay or trade.
        There is one (at least there has been ever since I've been there, with no sign of it ever selling) in Watford Gamestation. I wondered for ages what it was for.

Comment

Well, I've found that the Sidewinder Standard joysticks are a lot like the VO Twin Sticks, but more comfortable. My new plan is to take out the mushroom sticks from the PS1 pad, but leave the balls intact. I'll unscrew the joysticks and take out the main stick. Then I'll drill some bigger holes through the balls and put in the main sticks in it's place. Then connect it all up to the PCB. I just hope the joysticks are small enough and has conspicuous wires leading from it's triggers.

How much is that twin stick in Watford? Do you mean actual VO twin sticks? Marz is the first VO game to be released on Playstation, I or II, and Sega have said they won't be making twin sticks to go along with em, so I don't know wtf you're on about.

Comment

Working...
          X