Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N64 Carts....battery backup?

lo all,

have just sold an N64 and some games on the bay, i knew it was all working so said so in my description, however before posting i fired it up and a couple of the games are saying error on controller pak - it seems that there is no longer any saved data - the games play ok but i can't save or load. - (am not using a memory card just the cart memory)

Is it because they have not been played for such a long time? - will the internal battery (if there is such a thing) recharge itself once the game has been played for a while?

Have never come across this before, even my older snes games all still save and load perfectly.

It concerns me because i also have a load more quality titles that i have stored in the loft and am not likely to play for a long time, and will probably end up selling in years to come.

I am due to post the N64 and the games off later today, and don't want the buyer thinking i've misinformed him.....

Any knowledge gratefully received,
    Cheers,
    YW

This has been a bit of a worry to me. As with you, I have a box full of mint and cherished N64 games under the stairs, and have thought more than once when the batteries would run out on the carts - I haven't used them for a while so I couldn't tell you if they have died on me.
    Having said that, the SNES carts that I have still have the battery backups working so did Nintendo skimp on the batteries for the N64?
    Or were the ones that were not working third-party games?

I believe that some import/collector places can actually replace the batteries in SNES carts - but it sounds like it would be an expensive job to get a whole collectors library working 100%.

Comment

The vast majority of N64 carts use EEPROMs instead of battery backup (in fact there might not be any that use batteries). The only thing I can think of that might have caused the damage is if you kept them near a strong magnetic force, or in temperatures that were unsually high/low.

Comment

I recently bought a 2nd hand LTTP cart and the battery had died. I got in contact with the Nintendo Service Centre (The number is in the back of the manuals) and sent if off to them, they replaced the battery for ?2.50!

Comment

thanx for the replies fellas,

problem is solved, im a fool

it was just down to the fact that i never had the memory card in the controller, but had a rumble pack in there - i can't believe i'ev been so stoopid - been years since i played my n64 - and to think i was in 2 minds in selling all my quality n64 games because of this

Comment

Working...
          X