Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PAL Gamecube and 50Hz TV

Hi

I have a PAL Gamecube with a reasonably old Sony TV. I'm fairly sure it supports NTSC (it displays region 2 NTSC DVDs run through a PS2 OK), but it only runs at 50Hz.

I'm considering buying FreeLoader 1.06 to play the US version of Animal Crossing, but would like to play in colour! Comments elsewhere in the fora suggest that with my set-up, the game will only run in black and white, if at all.

Are there any workarounds? Will a hacked RGB cable do the trick, or would my only option to be to invest in a 60Hz TV? Are there any converters available that would convert my TV's output from 50 to 60Hz?

Thanks in advance for any help.

You should be ok.
    You might want to invest in an official RGB cable, or maybe not. i don't know.

Comment

it depends on whether the Television will display an RGB signal or not. If it does you should be ok (don't quote me), but otherwise i don't think you're going to get anything in colour.

The above may or may not be complete bollocks, i'm using an NTSC Cube so don't know too much about freeloader. I'm sure someone out there will be able to give you a more definite answer.

Perhaps try searching for your TV on google and see if you can find any info on RGB stuff.

Comment

Thank you both for your replies.

I had a hunch that I may be OK when the TV played an NTSC DVD OK, and I believe it can display an RGB signal. If not, I'll try the RGB cable.

Thanks again.

Comment

I can't remember off the top of my head what the Pal PS2 DVD output is for region 1 discs. I presume it is PAL60, so your TV does do 60Hz, in which case freeloader will be fine.
          If your TV supports RGB, then you should be using that anyway for the best picture quality, so get an RGB cable for your PS2 and for your GC (game do 2nd hand official GC rgb cables for ?10 - you might get lucky).
          Oh and welcome to NTSC-uk and import gaming!

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr
            I can't remember off the top of my head what the Pal PS2 DVD output is for region 1 discs. I presume it is PAL60...
            It's NTSC 60. If you use composite/s-video with your PS2 there should be no problems at all, but as others have said go for RGB.

Comment

Thanks for your messages, and the welcome to the fora...I expect to become a regular at my local CEX!

I've taken the plunge - an NTSC copy af Animal Crossing and Freeloader 1.06 are winging their way to me. I'll let you know how I get on!

Comment

Working...
              X