Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Concept
    usually they're about as welcoming as Zombies with their arses on fire
    He's not really going to get the true meaning of that reference till he's played the game though is he ?

Comment

I've just started playing Half Life: Source and I've noticed that while I have and can use weapons the image of a weapon on the screen isn't drawn. I've tried deleting my CFG file and hunting for console commands with little luck. Any ideas what I should do?

Comment

I downloaded the demo for this to see if I'd experience the sound stutterting problems. When I started playing it was indeed stuttering a lot and so I'm wondering if the fixes are applied to the demo (I'd guess not). You still have to connect through Steam to get the demo to work which was a bonus.

Comment

Half life 2 crashing problems

I've been playing this fine for 10 hours+, but suddenly it's decided to crash after only a few minutes of play, usually freezing and repeating a sound effect - could a steam update have cocked it up? First I thought it was because I'd upgraded to the Catalyst 5.6 drivers, but I reverted to 5.5 and the same thing happens.

My system is:

P4 3.2
          1 Gig PC3200
          Radeon X800 Pro (Cat 5.5)
          Windows XP MCE 2005 (all updates)

Any ideas? Because it's really starting to piss me off now.
          (Doom 3, Battlefield 2, and UT2004 are all running perfectly still).

Comment

Do you get a memory error? Because i had problems with HL2 crashing and freezing, i tried lots of things including changing my memory! Eventually this worked...

I had the memory error problem even after playing it the day before (even at 1280 x 1024) and fixed it by doing the following.

find your steam directory and look for folder 'steamapps'. In here look for 'half life 2' directory and rename it to 'half life 21'. then run steam and run halflife 2. It should run ok. quit the game.
            Go to the 'half life 21' folder and copy your saved games into the new 'half life 2' folder. .

Comment

Cheers. I'll give it a go at lunchtime.

Comment

Originally posted by TommyG
                Do you get a memory error? Because i had problems with HL2 crashing and freezing, i tried lots of things including changing my memory! Eventually this worked...
                You tried nothing ^_- it was me that did all the work for you buddy ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Kenji
                  You tried nothing ^_- it was me that did all the work for you buddy ^_^
                  Dam!! Busted!! >_<

My secret plan to make everyone think i've got uber skillz when it comes to PC's is blown. I you've revealed me for the noob i am! haha ^ ^

Comment

Originally posted by TommyG
                    Dam!! Busted!! >_<

My secret plan to make everyone think i've got uber skillz
                    No one ever thought that anyway :P

Comment

Originally posted by cHawKso
                      I've been playing this fine for 10 hours+, but suddenly it's decided to crash after only a few minutes of play, usually freezing and repeating a sound effect - could a steam update have cocked it up? First I thought it was because I'd upgraded to the Catalyst 5.6 drivers, but I reverted to 5.5 and the same thing happens.
                      I had the exact same problem, can't remember where though - I think I was in a house and a helicopter dropped off some troops. It would always crash within a minute of that happening.
                      I went back to the previous savegame and played on from that and everything was fine.
                      Or are you getting this crash wherever you start playing from?

Comment

Yeah I'm getting this crash after a few minutes of play. So I can load my save, play for 5 - 10 minutes, then it'll freeze up.

It's strange, because I played all the way up to now (Anticitizen 1?) with only a couple of crashes during loading, it's only recently started messing up badly.

Comment

And it is with every save or just this one?

If it's every save, try turning down the detail level and if you're overclocking - stop it.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, but it's still doing exactly the same thing. I load the game, play normally for about 10 minutes then it just freezes on a sound (not the same sound, but there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it).

(I'm not overclocking btw).

It's odd that it would suddenly start doing this, and it's incredibly annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by superkully
                              And it is with every save or just this one?
                              I've asked this twice now - happy enough to waste my time answering your post when you could have done what everyone else does and use Google, but too cretinous to read the replies properly...

ffs.

Comment

Originally posted by superkully
                                If it's every save, try turning down the detail level
                                Like I said, I tried everything suggested.

All saves, and autosaves I reverted to are doing the same thing. Also, I have been using google, but haven't found anything that exactly matches what I'm experiencing - there's no need to be snide about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X