The age old topic of PAL or NTSC (PS2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The age old topic of PAL or NTSC (PS2)

Very tempted by a new slim PS2. But do I get PAL or NTSC?

How do the bargains for each region compare?

Are there a lot of JPN only games that I would HAVE TO pick up...?

I can get a PAL PS2 for a signigant saving (enough for a a few games).

Any opinions going, I'll take em'.

Originally posted by bungle
    Very tempted by a new slim PS2. But do I get PAL or NTSC?
    How do the bargains for each region compare?
    Are there a lot of JPN only games that I would HAVE TO pick up...?
    I can get a PAL PS2 for a signigant saving (enough for a a few games).
    Any opinions going, I'll take em'.
    The answer seems obvious. Get a Jap NTSC machine, because there are games you have to have, and any saving on a PAL machine will be negated by having to get the thing chipped.

Comment

get a pal slim ps2 and use the method posted in the ps2 slimline thread to make it multi region (be it with the aid of the swap magic disc)

tis what i use, but that said doesnt guarentee that i wont have problems with some games but it will do until i can afford to get a slim jpn one early next year

Comment

The problem I was thinking about was the english language thing. I'm not a noob in importing as most of my consoles are in fact JPN but back then there wasn't much of a language problem to be worried about (seeing as a I didn't play RPG's). I really wanna play GTA: San Andreas though which I don't think will be in english.

Comment

Get the PAL machine now. (for your GTA fix).
          In time, pick up additional machines from the other regions (or use a chip/swap)..

Comment

GTA San Andreas hasn't been released in Japan as far as I know.

Comment

San Andreas' frame rate on the PAL version can be incredibly low at times. I keep thinking the NTSC version is bound to cope better. Anyone ran them both together?

Comment

Buy a PAL machine and get it chipped with an Infinity chip.

Chipped PAL machines beat chipped NTSC machines as an NTSC PS2 can't play back PAL DVD movies.

A chipped PAL machine will play anything you throw at it.

Comment

Can the infinity chip a new ps2 though? If so, where can I get it done?

Comment

So how are PS2 PAL games? I had the idea that about every game had a 60Hz. option, but after reading some threads I believe that is not true.

Perhaps there is a list which says which developers do the 60Hz. option and which not (or from a specific date)?

Btw, there is no NTSC PS2 that plays PAL dvd's? I found a region free one here: http://chinatoysco.com/playstation2.php
                    so now I wonder if it plays PAL dvd's or not...?

Comment

Very few PAL PS2 games have 60Hz modes, much less than on the GC or XBox. The PS2 also doesn't support PAL60, so the 60Hz mode is NTSC (not that that's a bad thing).
                      I think GameFaq's has a list of titles, though obviously it's not definitive. Generally any new Capcom game can be assumed to have an NTSC mode.

The ideal solution would be to get a modded machine (with a newer mod such as DMS4, Matrix Infinity, Ghost2 etc). The DMS4 lets you force games into NTSC or even PAL60... I dunno if other mods have such a feature.

Comment

So taking that into consideration, the DMS4 mod chip would be the best choice?

Aside from that, are there any other (big) differences between the DMS4 and the Matrix Infinity?

EDIT:
                        I read that the slimline model can't be modded with DMS4, is that correct?

Hmmmz, read this on their website:
                        Q) Will a V12 version (PSTwo) of the DMS4 E.Z.I. and E.Z.I. Pro become available in the future?

A) Yes! We're currently working on an innovative solution for the PSTwo.... Stay tuned for more info!
                        Last edited by Shadow_Zero; 28-03-2005, 11:51.

Comment

Get a USA NTSC machine, that way you can play Xenosaga and other dvd9 based games in english, then with the swapmagic discs and tools play pal games

Comment

Wanda and Colossus should seal the deal for anyone who has the resources and wishes to play what may perhaps turn out to be the pinnacle of this generation quickly.

US or Japanese. I'm there.

Comment

But does the NTSC machine play PAL dvd's or not?

And what's the Wanda and Colossus post about? ?_?

Comment

Working...
                              X