WEP and Xbox Live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WEP and Xbox Live

I set up a wireless network using Belkin gear, and everything was working fine, if a bit weak.

I switched on the security 128 bit WEP using a passphase to generate the keys. Key 1 is selected and I typed it into my laptop OK but now my Xbox wireless reciever won't work. and the Wireless section in the network advanced section dosen't even see it.

How do I get the security code into the wireless reciever I use with the xbox any ideas?

Also where the best place for the router the signal seems to fade very quickly?
    I have both the antenas pointing up is that the best set up if the routers on the second floor and the xbox and laptop are downstairs?

Cheers

Tony

What is the wireless connecter for the Xbox?

The best orientation for the aerials is one vertical the other horizontal.

Comment

Thanks I've moved the antenna.

The Xbox is connected to a Belkin Wireless Ethernet Bridge which clearly mentions PS2 and Xbox on the box.

I would just like to know that the networks secure and got WEP 128 working for the laptop, but don't know how to change the settings on the brdge as it's only got 3 light and the xbox will use it but doesn't seem to have a section for the WEP key.

I have disabled the SSID broadcasting as well. As I think that makes it a bit safer.

I don't know why I'm worried its not like I live anywhere built up or surrounded by techy people.

Especially as the wireless signal has already droped to low/very low by the time I get to the living room.

Comment

I'm having the same problem.

The best option I've come up with so far is to disable WEP, but restrict access to the network by filtering the MAC addresses.

Comment

At a guess you'll need to connect the bridge to your pc via an ethernet cable and set up the WEP stuff from there.

Comment

Can anyone please help me with this as I'm finding all these Mac address wireless security protocols and IP address stuff very confusing.

I still have the Belkin Wireless Router and Ethernet Bridge downstairs. I previously gave up with the wireless security, but recently I found TOMS LAPTOP on my list of DHCP client list!

I didn't realise how many wireless networks there were everywhere now. My missus has a XDAIIs, which is forever flagging up detected wireless networks its found.

I wanted to turn on the WPA security but couldn't find a common security level available between the router - Bridge - Laptop and Smartphone.

So I thought I would follow Vans advice above, however I now have no DCHP clients on my list, yet the laptop this computer and XDAIIs can all get on line.

The xbox has settings for this stuff and a MAC address but which ones do I enter where. The network trouble shooter is falling after the cables connected check (IP)

Can anyone help me? I'd like to be able to use the xbox live service and internet at the same time without letting any passing salepeople piggyback my connection.

I'm with Ntl if that helps using a ethernet cable from the modem, to router.

Thanks

Tony

Comment

Ok, its kind of hard to follow what was going on, but I think I get your drift.

To set the WEP up for your xboxes bridge:

Type 192.168.2.225 into your browser on the PC, it should take you to a bridge setup screen, the same as your router has.

Leave everything on your xbox as automatic.
              (the wireless settings in the dashboard of the xbox only apply for the official wireless adapter)

Contact me on msn in you need any help

Comment

Thanks for the offer EvilBoris, think I sorted it.

For anyone else in the same boat

I couldn't use any of the decryption systems as I couldn't find a setup that covered all my gear, the laptop and XDA had open/shared PSK WEP numbers and HEX keys and the like, the Ethernet adaptor only had 64bit or 128bit encryption.

What I did in the end was remove all the security features from everythng, including the router, restarted the router, connected everything up to the internet/LIVE. Then looked at the routers web page and took notes of all the mac addresses in use. Then I switched on Mac address filtering and input the Mac addresses I had written down.

I am hoping this is good enough security without using the WEP systems.

Comment

Working...
                X