Recommend me a TV!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend me a TV!

I'm interested in this progressive scan malarkey, and I need some help.

I think I've got the basics of it- I need a TV with component inputs I believe, and obviously a component cable for consoles that support it ( I have an Xbox cable with this already, and I'm sure I've seen a PS2 one).

Is there anything else I would need? Also, can you only hae one item connected to component at any one time, or is there any way of plugging in more than one ie - Joytech AV centre kinda thing.

Anybody who is using them already feel like recommending something to me? Not frighteningly expensive if you can manage, but 32" and above, flat screen if possible, and digital too if you can.

Moon on a stick? Me? ^_^

The Toshiba Picture Frame series are pretty decent 'reasonably' priced progressive-scan, CRT televisions...

http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/ctl/do/searc...+picture+frame

Dixons were recently offering the 36" PF3 NICAM model for ?799.00... that offer may've ended though.

You can get dirt-cheap switchers for dual-component-in (so your dvd player can share with Xbox, for example). I think mine cost about ?7 and works perfectly at 480p (NTSC progressive).

Comment

I have a tosh 36" prog scan tv that was ?1300 when i brought it
      nice pic on it
      toshs are generally a good bet for CRT IMO.

Comment

You also need to look (not much) further into the future towards the next generation of consoles and their HD capabilities.

The Tosh TV's are good (I have one myself) but can only handle 480p. If you want to get the best out of the next crop of consoles and DVD players you will need something which can display the higher resolutions like 720p & 1080i.

May be worth thinking about if you're a sucker for this kind of thing, you may be upgrading in a year or less if you only get a 480p capable TV.

Comment

Sound (futureproof) advice - if you're interested in HD-DVD/TV or getting 720p or 1080i out of an Xbox, you need a decent plasma/LCD. You can get one (plasma) for not much more than a 36" progressive CRT (around ?1700, although this starts to get into silly money stratosphere).

If not, look at a 32" progressive CRT that you can get for around the ?600-800 mark. You can always go graded/second-hand and knock a fair bit off of that.

Comment

cheers guys!

I shall have a look this weekend, but the futureproof advice does make good sense.

Comment

Hi, Im looking into buying a new HDTV for the new crop of consoles. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what to look for? Ive seen the Pioneer - PDP-435XDE which looks nice.
              Just need something completely future proof.
              Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Nugget
                Hi, Im looking into buying a new HDTV for the new crop of consoles. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what to look for? Ive seen the Pioneer - PDP-435XDE which looks nice.
                Cheers.
                I would recommend the Sharp Aquos "32" Widescreen LCD TV. You can see it here:

And read the review here:

The latest gadget and technology news, reviews, buyer’s guides and features. Covering smartphones, laptops, audio, gaming, fitness and more

You can pick one up for around ?2000, well you did want future proof.

Comment

LCD over plasma then? was looking for around a 42" but probably cant afford to go that big anyway. Surely it would need a DVI-D input? where as that sharp only has a DVI-I. Thanks
                  Last edited by Nugget; 24-04-2005, 13:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Nugget
                    Cheers.
                    Wait a few months and get the new 8 series Panasonic panel.

Comment

8 series Panasonic would be my bet too.

keep an eye on the special offers section on www.avforums.com for deals from www.av-sales.com

If you want a crt then I beleive the new JVC range will handle 720p and 1080i, but again have a good read up on www.avforums.com now and not after you have bought the screen and realised it doesn't do what you want it to, like most of the people who join do!

Comment

Originally posted by the_dude
                        I would recommend the Sharp Aquos "32" Widescreen LCD TV.
                        that looks tasty!

i might be in the market for a new telly myself... thinking about 32", LCD (as it'll be the main telly & i'm worried about burn-in, but it's *got* to be flat!) & must be fully future-proofed / able to handle pretty much any kind of analogue video. 16:9 is a must too.

obviously, the sharp's a serious contender... any other suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                        X