RAID help needed, chaps!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAID help needed, chaps!!

This is a follow up post to my thread about buying a new server. I am not massively well up on Network Admin, i am really a DB admin who has been thrown in at the very deep end.
    I have a q about RAID, i know what it is, basically a mirroring of 2 or more disks, yes?
    So if i purchase a new server with 2 HD's set in a RAID configuration, i am providing myself with a backup in case 1 of the disks goes down, yes?
    Also
    Is RAID easy to set up and can you have RAID over 2 or more servers?

Any help would be much needed, as you can see

There are many different types of RAID. Each one is suited to different uses and has its own advantages and disadvantages.

Do a google search and you'll find lots of good pages that explain everything in depth.

Comment

Couldn't resist.

Comment

ahhhh Raid 1 will have to do, no time to fanny about with anything else for now

Comment

If you are after performance then Raid1, if you want better fault tolerance then 5. I keep meaning to do this on my server :/

Comment

Originally posted by marcus
            If you are after performance then Raid1, if you want better fault tolerance then 5. I keep meaning to do this on my server :/

Yeah its a bit of a quandry, but with money tight and only 2 HD's available at the price, RAID 1 will have to do

Comment

The norm is RAID1 on the system drives, and RAID5 on the data drives. That's five drives in total. You might need a SCSI RAID controller as well, check what you've got in the server at the moment.

It really isn't worth cheaping out on this sort of thing.

Comment

Also i wouldnt just use RAID as a system backup.

Always have a back up schedule that will use whatever removable format is suitable.

But yeah for general backup purposes RAID 1 can be good

Comment

Working...
                X