Help! with RAM install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! with RAM install

Does anyone know why my new shiny 512mb SDRAM is being recognised as only 256mb

I already had a 128mb & left it in the same slot that it was in - could this be the problem? Back in the old days I knew there were issues with what sims you could use together - but surely this is no longer a problem???

Admittedly this pc is old - a pentium III.....

Any ideas??? Thanks in advance for any sugestions/help.

Its possible the ram slot only supports 256mb per stick.

Comment

Try it on another PC and see if it's really 512 MB or 256 MB.

Comment

Usually it's best to have the largest module in the first slot, going down in size - so 512mb stick in slot 1, 128mb in slot 2. Anyway... try it without the 128mb stick. Failing that, either the motherboard needs double-sided ram modules (e.g. 256mb on each side of the module, as opposed to 512mb on a single side), or it just doesn't support 512mb modules.

Hope you're not running an o/s older than Win2000 anyway, as 98/ME doesn't support more than 512mb.
        Last edited by Hohum; 19-01-2005, 10:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Hohum
          Usually it's best to have the largest module in the first slot, going down in size - so 512mb stick in slot 1, 128mb in slot 2. Anyway... try it without the 128mb stick. Failing that, either the motherboard needs double-sided ram modules (e.g. 256mb on each side of the module, as opposed to 512mb on a single side), or it just doesn't support 512mb modules.

Hope you're not running an o/s older than Win2000 anyway, as 98/ME doesn't support more than 512mb.
          I fitted a 512MB stick in slot 2 with a 256MB in 1. The computer doesnt seem to have sped up in any way? Does the slot in which the module is fitted actually have an effect or is it just one of those 'things u should do'? The system has detected the added memory but ive had no performance increase?

Comment

I think the idea is that by having the largest module in the first slot, there is less need to span across to the second module depending on what you're doing. E.g.: you're using 384mb of ram - with 512mb in the first slot only that module needs to be utilised, whereas with the 256mb module in the first slot it'll need to span across to the second slot for an extra 128mb.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure if it actually does work like that, and if any noticeable speed increase will be seen... it's just what I've seen recommended a lot. I can't test it either, my P4 system uses RDRAM so I have 4x128mb sticks.

Comment

I fitted a second 128MB stick in a PIII system a while back and it only recognises 192MB total (i.e. 128 + 128/2) instead of 256MB. I did a bit of research and I'm pretty sure it's to do with the new stick being newer technology (dual sided or dual density..?) - never did fix it.

Comment

So, it sounds like it's either your OS, Finsbury Girl, or your motherboard. One way or another, I think you need to upgrade if you want this RAM to work, by the sounds of it.

Comment

I always buy my RAM upgrades from Crucial cos if you can just select your make and model and it'll let you know what RAM you can use and in what combinations.

Comment

Crucial are fantastic. Some other great PC shopping recommendations here.

Comment

Thanks for all of your help guys & gals - unfortunately it looks as if it is indeed my motherboard which only recognises 256mb per slot.

Oh well - a good excuse to upgrade to a pentium 4 I suppose!!

Comment

Working...
                      X