Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running Quake 1 and 2 on a new pc?

Hi,

I have recently bought a new pc and want to relive some scary monsters but I aint got a clue how to install a windows 95 game on xp?

can anyone help

thanks

I think your best bet is to try it in compatibility mode. You can find the compatibilty wizard in your accessories folder.

Comment

Just try it as you would normally.
      Then if you have problems, right click the game file and find the stuff for Compatability Mode (although I've found this rarely helps).

Comment

quake1 use compatability mode, as for q2 it should run under xp, as im playing it online at the moment

Comment

If your looking to make your new PC sweat a bit there are some massive graphical tart ups available for both games. The Quake 1 one is crazy.

Comment

Still no joy guys

Quake 1 loads up then just disapears??

Quake 2 goes on about wrong language version!!! ft:

Comment

Quake2 should just work, straight off the CD. As long as you got all the right XP drivers, there is nothing that you need to do additionally on the standard US/English version. I installed it last week no problem.

For Quake1, you will need a 32 bit port. Install Q1 as you would normally and let it depack all files to your HDD. Once it's installed, go to idsoftware's FTP site HERE. You will need the file wq100.zip found in the Quake1 folder. If you have a 3d accelerator, there is also an opengl port of Quake 1 available. It's in the unsup folder and it's called glq1114.exe. This is the best version of quake1 available. Both these versions of quake come with a readme file explaining how they work.

Comment

"I'm telling you so if you're one of those people who, like me, found yourself out in the cold with your Quake game after getting Windows XP - it can be fixed. Upgrade to the newest version, get Winquake and download [Windows XP] service pack 1 and you should be in business."

also has all the winquake files for download.

Quake2 should work as it is on winxp.

Comment

thanks fellow Quakerz gonna give it a go!!

Comment

Right got it sorted but I can't get Gl mode to run!!!

Bloody pc's!!

I have heard there is a version knockin round thatlooks like Doom 3 anyone know where I can get this??

Cheers

Comment

For the GL version, try renaming the opengl.dll (or is it opengl32.dll) in the quake folder, otherwise it will probably be trying to find a 3Dfx card.

Comment

Sorry what do I rename it 2?/

Comment

anything you like, its to force glquake to use the system default opengl.dll instead of its local one.

Comment

Working...
                          X