NTSC games on PAL PS2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NTSC games on PAL PS2

Is it possible to make a PAL PS2 play american games? Like with the use of something like a freeloader as the gamecube does? Or is chipping the only option?

Kinda...

There is a bootdisc, and it works fine. But you have to replace the upper shell of your PS2 with a flip lid.
    Not hard, a baby could do it. You just gotta break your warrentee seal ( which is probably void by now anyway ).

PS2 v4-8 - http://www.divineo.cn/cgi-bin/div-cn/ps2-ftcv4smp
    PS2 V9-11 - http://www.divineo.cn/cgi-bin/div-cn/ps2-ftcv9smp
    PS2 Slimline - http://www.divineo.com/cgi-bin/div-us/ps2-spfv12

I used one for 2 years before getting a modchip. No real problems... DVD9 games such as Xenosaga must be patched to run over 2 normal DVDR's though.
    Last edited by sj33; 06-03-2005, 19:51.

Comment

i really couldnt be bothered with any hassle, remember the days of the neo chip

so i've got myself a us console - teh winnar is me

prices are pretty good at the mo

Comment

I'm not sure if the image I see is the original PS2 or the PS2-mini, but does this bootdisc system also work with the PS2-mini?

Comment

It does, you get this pack instead.

Comment

Is there any kind of boot disc that makes the console region free as well as the dvd function?
            *wishful thinking*

Is Swap Magic the only boot disc for playing NTSC games, or are there others, but it's the best...?
            Any alternative places I can get it besides divineo.com? Dvdboxoffice doesn't seem to have it.

Comment

Swap Magic is really the best boot disc for booting import/backup PS2 games. Breaker Pro is the best for PS1 copies, btw.
              They both require the flip top case, there's no way around that really.

The Official Swap Magic website www.swapmagic3.com should have a list of official retailers. Of course, other retailers sell it too, but you might find one closer to home in there.

Comment

Hmmmz, I do have a lot of the Square Soft PS1 titles (ntsc)...
                And I think most PS2 titles have a 60hz. option don't they?
                As well as most games are released in Europe.

So perhaps Breaker Pro might be a better choice for me

Comment

Well Swap Magic *only* does PS2 and Breaker Pro *only* does PS1 so you'll need both if you wanna play the games on both.

Some PAL PS2 titles have NTSC modes, though none of the RPG's.

Comment

I thought we had PAL 60hz. these days?
                    (or not with PS2?)

Comment

We do. Doesn't mean that lazy-arsed publishers support it, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow_Zero
                        I thought we had PAL 60hz. these days?
                        (or not with PS2?)
                        From what I gather, PS2 does NTSC but not PAL60 (well, you can alter the hardware to do PAL60 but...).

That's why the few 60Hz games on the PAL PS2 (Devil May Cry 2, Resi: Dead Aim etc...) have an NTSC mode instead of a 60Hz mode.

Comment

Add Pro Evo 4 and Rez to those two. And there's bound to be more out there...
                          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

A similar question, If I have a PAL PStwo (slimline), a swap disk etc, an NTSC GT4 and a component cable can I run GT4 in hi-def or do I need to buy an NTSC PStwo??

Sorry to hijack the thread!

Comment

You won't be able to play an NTSC version of GT4 on a PAL PS2 with a swap disk. You should be OK with a modded PAL PS2 though.

Comment

Working...
                              X