No announcement yet.

Which version PS2 should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well i've been looking, and the dms4 lite offers the pal60 mode just like the pro. seems the only real difference between the two is the 2mb flash memory.

oh one more thing, when they mention 'software modchip disable', does it actually turn off the modchip insofar as i could go online with it (i.e. doesn't affect online games that use DNAS)?

Comment

Jusatsushi - There's no way of knowing without opening it up to be honest =/ All I can tell you is if you don't need to switch between modes to boot PS1 copies, then it's a fairly recent, and good, mod.

billy_dimashq - I'm curious, why are you changing from a Messiah to another mod if you aren't bothered about the special features?

And yeah, it turns off the mod so you can use it online.
      True, the Lite has force-PAL60 too... but the price difference is literally a few quid.
      Last edited by sj33; 13-03-2005, 13:46.

Comment

jusatsushi, sounds like you've got a similar chip to mine.

by dvd's, do you mean only dvd movies? if so, try one of the following methods:

1) turn on the ps2 and wait a few seconds, then double-tap reset (same way you'd double-click a mouse button). if the dvd movie plays then you've got a messiah 1, but i seriously doubt this as the messiah 1 is very old.

2) put the ps2 into standby, then turn it on by holding down the power button but don't just press it - hold it down for around 5 seconds or so (better yet, until the 'browser/system configuration' options appear). if the dvd plays now, then it probably means you've turned your modchip off. to check this, try an import/backup game when using this method and see if it boots

3) you may have a dms 3 chip, which requires that you hold down a certain joypad button while turning on the ps2 (square, circle, triangle or X, try them all)

try these and see what happens. lmk how it goes

Comment

shakey-jake, the reason i want to change chips is because i've got a v5 ps2 at the moment but i want a newer one that i would subsequently chip. and there's no point carrying the messiah1 over to the new ps2 as, quite frankly, the switching between modes is enough of a hassle for me to warrant the idea. also, the fact that i can't boot dual-layered games like GT4 also has something to do with it.

oh, and a lot of my friends keep bugging me to do their ps2's but i only ever mod consoles that i have modded for myself first (that way i know what i'm dealing with. that's why i only mod xboxes, dreamcasts and saturns as i've modded my own ones - my ps2 was modded professionally back in 2002)

Comment

Originally posted by billy_dimashq
            2) put the ps2 into standby, then turn it on by holding down the power button but don't just press it - hold it down for around 5 seconds or so (better yet, until the 'browser/system configuration' options appear). if the dvd plays now, then it probably means you've turned your modchip off. to check this, try an import/backup game when using this method and see if it boots
            Yeah, that seemed to work! Cheers. I assume I need to do the same to turn it back on right?
            I dont play movies on my PS2 anyway, so I'll just leave the chip on for games. Does this shed any more light as to what kind it is? Is it reliable etc...?

Comment

oh another thing, seeing as the ps2 mod chips all seem to share identical basic functions, so as the infinity mentions both 'cd lens-safe (doesn't keep the lens busy) and 'sleep mode', does the dms also offer these? i can't find mention of it anywhere though

Comment

I honestly don't know, I saw no mention of it either. I'd be suprised if it didn't, all other mods in the current 'generation' do, and the DMS4 is newer than the Infinity by soime way.

Comment

Originally posted by Jusatsushi
                  Yeah, that seemed to work! Cheers. I assume I need to do the same to turn it back on right?
                  I dont play movies on my PS2 anyway, so I'll just leave the chip on for games. Does this shed any more light as to what kind it is? Is it reliable etc...?
                  it will be either a messiah 2, or one of the magic 3 range, i bet.

i think you only need to just reset the console to turn the chip back on again.

if it's a messiah 2, then you're fine - i've had my messiah 1 for 2 and a half years and it has never even stuttered. magic 3 is a bit shadier though, as there were loads of fakes that appeared, and were less reliable

shakey_jake: yeah i think that too, although now i'm steering towards a matrix as the dms's wiring requirements are too harsh for a first-timer like me. i'd rather have an easier first-time chip. besides, i could always sell the ps2 and get another and mod that if i wanted (seeing as doing it myself is free, and i could make the money back in that sense)
                  Last edited by randombs; 13-03-2005, 14:06.

Comment

If that's what you want, go for it.
                    Have you looked into the Ghost2? It's follow-up to the Messiah range, and seems to have all the main features of the Infinity, at a slightly lower price. Same goes for the Ripper3.1 Worth a look around.

Comment

yeah i'll probably sort that one out this week.

Comment

Working...
                      X