DS Import Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DS Import Questions

Right I am finally looking into the DS. Need to ask some questions...

The hardware is region free right? So if I buy a JPN DS it will play US and UK games right?

The games aren't so region free right? So if I want to link up, it has to be with the same region game in both DS units?

How about download play? Do you think a JPN DS will be able to download PAL Mario 64 DS or download the eventual games shop demos?

Anything else worth noting along these lines?

All games will play on any region DS.
    Single pack games like Yoshi will work multi player on a JPN machine linked to a US one. I took my JPN DS and game to work and linked with the UK machine no problem
    Multi pack games have to be from the same region AFAIK. Like Pokemon, a US cart won't talk to a UK one.

Comment

are dead pixels still as prevelent as they were on launch and if so what can we do about them?

Comment

At my GAME yesterday we replaced a unit with a single red dead pixel, present only on black screens. I'd say as long as you buy from the high street you should be fine swapping any deadpixel units over.

Bear in mind they are 99% sold out by now, so you're relying on Nintendo to restock if you are unlucky with a pixel.

Places like Dixons and PC World that are theoretically more clued up on dead pixels through selling TFT's might be a bit nastier. They may impose the TFT standard that allows so many pixels in a single place before classing it as faulty.
        Last edited by bowser123; 14-03-2005, 09:53.

Comment

Excellent info there. Thanks mate.

Additionally - Where has everyone gone and bought there DS systems from? Best place online? Special Reserve have a deal for ?129.99 with the game and the demo and a carry case - That's my starting point.

Comment

Simplygames have the DS and mario 64 for 115 pound delivered. Depends if you really want a carry case...

http://www.simplygames.com/product.asp?id=4970

Comment

I think HMV are selling the DS and a game, not sure if you have a choice, for ?115

Comment

Originally posted by AlonzoUK
                Simplygames have the DS and mario 64 for 115 pound delivered. Depends if you really want a carry case...
                I picked up an official Nintendo product case with room for the DS and 8 carts from HMV for ?9.99. Simplygames+HMV = choice excellent.

Edit: Actually it was this: http://www.simplygames.com/product.asp?id=4548
                So simplygames all the way . The case itself is about the length of the DS, and twice it's width so its not some mega big case that the carry handle implies.

Comment

So in conclusion - The DS can be bought at it's best price in the UK, and I might as well buy it over here?

Comment

SharkAttack. I would. No need to wait, no need to worry about import tax, and if you have any dead pixel problems then you can hopefully return the unit hastle free.
                    Take a look in the For Sale section incase any user is getting rid of theirs, but otherwise, I'd go down the UK route. (which probably goes against the whole ethos of ntsc-uk )

Comment

Originally posted by baad bwoy
                      I think HMV are selling the DS and a game, not sure if you have a choice, for ?115
                      i got one from hmv other day and it was any game for 115quid or 125 with accessories pack

Comment

Originally posted by bowser123
                        Multi pack games have to be from the same region AFAIK. Like Pokemon, a US cart won't talk to a UK one.
                        See this bit has me wondering. With the GBA, a US cart could connect to a UK cart because the problem isn't the 'region' or anything, but the language the cart us running. That's why a US cart, for example, can't connect to a JPN one.

Has anyone actually tried connecting a US cart to a UK one?

Comment

GBA Lttp didn't work between a US and EUR versions, although some games did if I remember right (I had a EUR Pokemon Sapphire that linked to the US version without a hitch).

I expect it'll be the same for DS games really. It's down to luck :/

Comment

Originally posted by bowser123
                            At my GAME yesterday we replaced a unit with a single red dead pixel, present only on black screens. I'd say as long as you buy from the high street you should be fine swapping any deadpixel units over.

Bear in mind they are 99% sold out by now, so you're relying on Nintendo to restock if you are unlucky with a pixel.

Places like Dixons and PC World that are theoretically more clued up on dead pixels through selling TFT's might be a bit nastier. They may impose the TFT standard that allows so many pixels in a single place before classing it as faulty.
                            I would be pissed if I splashed out for a TFT and found it had dead pixels. ft:

Comment

I've got a dead pixel on this beast of laptop of mine. Nothing I can do about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X