Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mac OSX text editors

Hi,

I know theres a few mac users on here, what do you use for your programming text editor?

what I'm after is something like Context for windows, not to many bells and whistles just a nice clean text editor with highlighting for php, js, sql, css etc and must have tabs, oh and has to be free as well!

Cheers

Dan

Not a Mac man myself but you tried looking on www.download.com ? just make sure you also put Mac in the seach box

Comment

Emacs?

Comment

Hi,

I don't know that editor your using for Windows and I don't imagine VIM is anything like it, but I would really recommend VIM to one and all. Well programmers anyway.

I use the command line version of it GNU/Linux, Windows and Mac OS X and it is simply the best editor out there. It has a really steep learning curve, but once you get used to it, it is superb.

Anyway, your probably looking for something more traditional, I hear BBEdit is pretty good and I think there is a Lite version.

-weresheep

Comment

I've tried out a load and havent found anything that really floats me boat just yet, i'd gotten so used to ConText that everthing else just seems weird. VI, VIM etc.. I find thats ok for editing my config files on servers but for coding php i do like the pretty colours, tabs, line numbers, macros etc as they help me from going crosseyed.

have just started using BBEdit now as I need to actually do some work instead of messing about and it seems ok, still no real tabs though but does seem to be the best of the bunch.

Comment

Try this link for a very comprehensive list of OSX text editors: http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?TextEditors

My favourite at the moment is the latest beta of TextMate, though JEdit is very good for a free text editor (it is java, so you need a fast-ish mac for it not to suck)

Comment

Working...
            X