Is soft modding an xbox easy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is soft modding an xbox easy?

I'm after something to play divx files and thought of getting an xbox and just wondered if soft modding is a relatively easy process? Anyone done it before?

It's probably easier to just get an Xecuter2.6 and solderless adaptor. It's a piece of piss to install, and only about 20 quid. You'll need to buy some stuff to softmod anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33
      It's probably easier to just get an Xecuter2.6 and solderless adaptor. It's a piece of piss to install, and only about 20 quid. You'll need to buy some stuff to softmod anyway.
      How does that work? Is it some sort of chip that you don't need to solder?

Comment

Essentially. It's pretty much slot-on and screw down.
        The Xecuter2.6 and solderless adaptor are separate, but most mod sites sell them as a bundle too.

Here's the installation process http://www.teamxecuter.com/xapter/

Comment

Cool looks pretty simple, thanks. Is there any drawbacks to the Xecuter2.6? There seem to be numerous chips

Comment

Nah. Newer mods such as the Xecuter3, Xenium Ice etc have fancy features such as support for LCD screens, configure the bios on the fly etc... it's all overkill though, for games the mod doesn't really matter at all.

Comment

Just so you know softmodding is super easy if you have access to mech assualt or the james bond game, an xbox memory card and someone with a chipped xbox and an internet connection. If you have all them it takes minutes to set it up, however you can only run stuff from the hard drive as ejecting the tray makes the xbox reset (unless you do a more complex soft mod.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Sack
                Just so you know softmodding is super easy if you have access to mech assualt or the james bond game, an xbox memory card and someone with a chipped xbox and an internet connection. If you have all them it takes minutes to set it up, however you can only run stuff from the hard drive as ejecting the tray makes the xbox reset (unless you do a more complex soft mod.
                No it doesn't. Soft modding a box lets you do everything you could want that a chipped box can.

It's piss easy if you have the above (plus Splinter Cell) and/ or Action Replay or a little harder if you want to use your PC to do it.

There are even really straightforward all-in-one packages that automate the installation for you.

I'm really mystified why peeps still choose to open the box up and stick a chip in (assuming they want bog standard usage), even with the solderless adapters...

Comment

I have been planning to mod mine for a while too, but I was wondering what I can do to not get banned from Xbox Live? I haven't used the service yet, so if I don't go on it before I get it modded , would I be ok?

Slightly off topic, but still not worthy of its own thread methinks!

Comment

You can turn your mod off, so that's that problem sorted. If you are planning to replace your HDD, you also must do this *before* you first use Live, as changing the HDD from there on will get you banned.

Comment

Working...
                    X