Help Needed regarding PSP Network Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Needed regarding PSP Network Settings

With the release of the firmware update today I decided it was time to get the PSP tapped into my wireless network to enable me to download the update and have it ready for any online games that abecome available.

Before I start I am using a Belkin Wireless Cable/DSL Gateway Router which currently has 2 computers running from it wirelessly.

This is what I have done so far...

Went into Network Settings on the PSP and selected Infrastructure Mode (I presume Ad Hoc mode is for when playing multiplayer games wirelessly when they are near to each other?)

I gave a name to my connection ("Home Connection")

I did a scan for nearby wireless networks and 2 came up "WLAN" (Which is the SSID of our connection) and "haggis" (presumably the network of a neighbour). Both were encrypted and I selected WLAN (of note both networks had a Signal Strength of 37%, is this noteworthy?) I also selected WEP for the Encryption option.

I entered the WEP key.

Then came Address Settings. At first I selected Easy and after confirming the settings attempted to hook into the network. It failed with the following message:

A connection error has occurred (80110482)

So I then selected Custom. For IP Address Settings I selected Manual and had to enter the data for the following:

IP Address
    Net Mask
    Default Router
    Primary DNS
    Secondary DNS

I then accessed my router via my Internet Browser to get the details. I also brought up my Wireless Network properties box which provided some details.

For IP address the router listed Gateway IP Address as 192.168.2.1 whereas the properties listed it as 192.168.2.31 (is this difference important?).

For Net Mask I entered the details listed as Subnet Mask (both matched).

I couldn't find anything for Default Router via accessing the router but the properties listed Default Gateway as 192.168.2.1 which I entered.

Primary and Secondary DNS were both listed on the router page so I entered them as listed there.

For Proxy Server I selected "Do Not Use" (I don't know what this does).

Saving the settings and selecting Test Connection didn't give me the same error. After a "Connecting Please Wait..." message it lists the connection and gives all the connection details (including the Wireless channel that the network uses) so I presume from this that it is connecting to the Network successfully? However it does state "Signal Strength: 1%" and "Internet Connection: Failed".

Unpertubed I then went tto the Network Update option and select the connection I just established. After a minute of "Checking Please Wait..." it tells me:

Connection to the server failed. A DNS error has occurred (80410410).

I'm now stumped and any advice that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and I've just noticed that the Router states Connected Clients 2 when the PSP is shut down but gives 3 when the PSP is on so I guess this confirms it is getting into the network ok. Just need to get it online then

EDIT - just tried connecting again and got the following error (different number to previous time)

Connection to the server failed. A DNS error has occurred (8041040F).
    Last edited by C'; 24-03-2005, 20:03.

Sorry to bump my own thread (especially so soon) but I've been doing a bit more fiddling and need a few things confirming. When I go into my ruouter statusvia Internet browser the following details are listed.

Internet-
    Cable/DSL: CONNECTED
    WAN IP: 82.24.71.95
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway IP: 82.24.71.95
    DNS:194.168.4.100
    Secondary DNS: 194.168.8.100

Gateway-
    IP Address: 192.168.2.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    DNCP: Enabled
    NAT: Enabled
    Firewall: Enabled

Also, I am unsure what actual IP address the PSP needs entering.

Going to Command Prompt >> ipconfig gives me: 192.168.2.31

However using this tool on http://www.broadband-help.com/cm_diagnose.asp?init=1 gives me: 82.24.71.95

Which should I enter on the PSP under IP Address?

Comment

Answer:

Hey bro, I was having the same problem so I googled it and a sec after I read your post I found my answer, so I decided to help you out since it was so easy. For all the IP settings etc, just use the scan option and easy option, only enter your own WEP key because that is necessary. Now the reason it wasnt conneting for me was this; go to options and under power save settings, check to see if WLAN Power Save is on. This was stopping an interent connection, if its on, unselect it and try again. I hope that helps.
      Last edited by PerfectAce; 12-08-2021, 17:39.

Comment

Thanks for the help but I already got it sorted.

In the end I disabled WEP on my router and tried again. The PSP did everything fine then. Obviously having an open wireless network was not ideal so I then put a 128-bit WEP key in place and the PSP still wroked with it.

I'm not sure why though.

Comment

Cant get on

I got the same message, but even using all of the simple and auto settings it does not work..... any other suggestions?

Comment

Working...
          X