NTL and Xbox.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NTL and Xbox.

I am having a lot of trouble getting/ staying online. I think it might be Norton Anti-Virus.

I can?t connect my Xbox directly to NTL, as it won?t find an I.P.

I know you have to register your PC with NTL before it works online, but how do I register an Xbox?

Do I need to phone up or can I just do it online?

are you connecting the Xbrick direct or through a router ? I have Norton running and that's not your problem, once your Xbox connects it should stay connected unless the NTL connection goes.

Comment

We used our NTL broadband with the PC for a couple of years before I finally got on Live and all I did was disconnect it from the PC and then use the ethernet cable to connect the modem directly to the Xbox and it worked first time.

I now use a router, so both can use the broadband at the same time.

Comment

one thing you can try for now - find out the mac address of your pc by doing this:

1) go to start/settings/network connections/local area connection (may be called something different)
        2) click the 'support' tab near the top of the new window
        3) click the 'details' button
        4) write down the 'physical address' that is given
        5) on your xbox, go to the advanced section of the network settings and in the 'mac address' bit, enter the address of your pc
        6) make sure only the xbox is connected to the ntl box when you do this, as now it is pretending to be the pc (by 'cloning' the pc's network mac address)

good luck, but it'd be better to just buy a router - they're really cheap nowadays (around ?20-30) and that way the xbox and pc can both be on the internet (if you do decide to get a router, don't forget to go back to the xbox settings and remove the pretend mac address!)

read here, too:

Comment

Well its all all working now, thanks billy_dimashq for putting me on the right track.

I have two onboard LAN ports and used to share the connection with my Xbox, but since installing Norton I have had loads of trouble connecting and staying connected.

So I thought I would connect directly, at least then I would know if it was my PC or NTL.

Comment

still sounds strange, is everything OK with Norton disabled ?

Comment

btw don't forget that two network cards implies two separate networks in norton's case, so you need to make sure that norton has allowed the xbox to even connect with your pc in the first place

Comment

Working...
              X