PS2 DVD9 Games and Messiah Modchip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS2 DVD9 Games and Messiah Modchip

Got my God Of War from VG+ this morning. Stick it in the PS2 and refuses to load. My PS2 is V5 PAL with (i think) the original Messiah modchip installed.

Are there compatabilty issues with the original Messiah and DVD9 games?

I always had trouble with the two DVD9 discs I owned on my original PS2 (with a messiah chip). They only loaded after a few failed attempts, never first time.

Comment

Same here - but mine's a Messiah 2.

For some reason God of War had a hissy fit to start - or rather not start.

1st attempt it did nothing. 2nd attempt got to the PlayStation 2 logo before it stopped. The 3rd attempt everything worked fine and it has ever since.

I've no idea why. Must take a while for the chip to decide it likes the look of a game

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I'll give it another try.

Comment

Bugger it!! Won't work at all.

Comment

messiah and messiah 2 was the first chips to properly allow dvd9 games to work, so you shouldn't have any problems. my v4 ps2 with messiah chip works fine with dvd9 games

Comment

I believe it's a Messiah in my PS2... was going to get GoW when over in the US later this month. Might not. Have to see.
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I have a messiah 2 in mine. I believe GT4 is a DVD9 - that works fine for me, perhaps your problems are down to the laser rather than the chip.

Comment

I've got a Messiah 1 PAL PS2 and the two US DVD9 games I've thrown at it (GT4, Xenosaga) have both played without any problems.

Comment

From what i have heard its more likely you have a failing laser, both the chips will run DVD9 games. However as has been highlighted with the release of GT4 a failing laser will not play DVD9 well even tho it plays non DVD9 discs fine.

Comment

Ah, i see. So, with a failing laser normal discs are ok but DVD9s are a no no?

Hmm.. I don't suppose anyone knows what sort of costs i'm looking at to get a new laser installed?

Comment

Laser replacement on the PS2 is a bit of a pain tbh - you might be better off trying to get a new chipped machine - they are still available to buy pre-modded in the UK if you google.

Comment

Ok, ta for the advice. I'll do some googling.

Of course if someone wants to help me and PM me some links that would be great.
                          Last edited by PH; 02-04-2005, 20:25.

Comment

Yeah, thrown GTA:VC and GTA:SA at my modded PS2 and ripped them to the HD eventually. No problems either way.
                            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

are VC and SA, dvd9?

Comment

Working...
                              X