Bought a Jap PS2 by mistake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought a Jap PS2 by mistake

Just bought an old PS2 (in Oz) and presumed it would be a PAL console. However, I've ended up with a SCPH30000 NTSC-J import model (with a huge stepdown convertor I think). I can play PAL games fine, so this leads me to a few questions...

Without opening the thing up to check, it's got to have been chipped right?

And if it can play PAL games, it's 99% sure to play NTSC-US & J games too?

Why don't DVD's play (only region 4 & 2 tested I think)? Can't seem to read the discs at all. I thought all mod-chips did region free DVD - perhaps it's just knackered?

Will an RF convertor on an ancient telly still work with an NTSC PS2 ok (or will is be B&W)?

Any words of wisdom would be great.

If you can play PAL games on there, you should be able to play anything, backups included.

As for DVD's, I assume it does read the discs, but doesn't bi-pass the region protection? Not all modchips bipass the DVD Movie region protection actually, you might have just landed one that doesn't.

As for RF... doubt it.

Comment

Cheers for the info. I've just ordered AR2V2(jap) from Play-Asia, as I'd like DVD functionality a lot. Also ordered NTSC-US Ico, (which ashamedly I've never played). If both of these work, I'll be a happy chappy.

Comment

how do the games boot on it, if you just put the disc in and go then its probably got a messiah 2 chip in it

if its a jap ps2 then it wont be able to play pal dvds as the frame buffer isn't big enough on ntsc ps2s

region 1 dvd should work fine with a region x

Comment

Originally posted by wod
          how do the games boot on it, if you just put the disc in and go then its probably got a messiah 2 chip in it

if its a jap ps2 then it wont be able to play pal dvds as the frame buffer isn't big enough on ntsc ps2s

region 1 dvd should work fine with a region x
          PAL games just start straight away - haven't tried anything else yet. I'm chuffed it's chipped already - only cost me 40 quid. Bargain.

Comment

Some chips play DVDs if you hold down the power (reset) button while its red for a few seconds.

Comment

Working...
            X