PC Upgrade Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC Upgrade Advice

Got a new PC today, was supposed to be an all powerful server but that fell through but I can't complain as I got it for free. Anyway, it's 512Mb RAM with 2.4 Ghz P4. First thing I need to do is put another 512 of RAM in but I'm not entirely sure what sort to go for. Does it all have to be matched or will this work fine with the current RAM I have?

Also, a new graphics card is a must as the thing on this is the usual crap you get when you get this sort of PC. Looking to spend ?100 ish on it so any recommendations would be good. Preferabley with DVI.

Graphics card wise, you can't get much better than this for your budget:

Discover the latest products from the biggest names in tech at EE Store. Find deals and offers on gaming, laptops, TVs, home phones, smart home systems and more

As for the ram, I think the type needs to match, but not 100% sure on that

Comment

well if you get another stick of the ram then you can run dual channel with the ddr ram

Comment

What?

Just wanna know if that RAM will work or do I need to find out more details to match it? Because I can't find anywhere on the PC to tell me if it's DDR, PC 3200 etc etc?

Cheers for the graphics card info Daragon.

Comment

The ram will be fine. The only prob you'll have is that the speed of it may downgrade to the same speed of the ram in the PC, if its lower. However the computer will still run, just wont be as fast.

Comment

Its probably best to make sure your using the same type of ram, if in doubt open up your pc case (dont worry its not as scary as you think), and simply look at the ram, it should have a sticker on it or something.

Comment

You will need the AGP version of the graphics card Daragon posted.

Comment

I've got no problem with opening it up etc, do it all the time, just wasn't sure since it's a ready made system which I'm not too fond of.

Like this Ciaran?

Comment

Yep. That should be perfect. (assuming it is actually an AGP board you have)

Comment

Don't have a clue what the motherboards like... And I can't be bothered checking just now.

Cheers, for help people!

Comment

the agp port will be a brown slot above the white pci slots. the memory will be at least ddr 2700

Comment

It has AGP which is fine now cheers but there is now another problem which has arisen tonight and it's a major one...

There is now no sound being output AT ALL. I don't have a clue why not, everything is connected perfect I'm sure. Me and my mate spent like the last 3 hours trying to work out the problem but it just won't fix. It all happened when I was changing everything over to my new case so I don't know if the motherboard for damaged when I done it, because it's an on board sound card, will just buying a new cheap sound card fix the problem?

Comment

Maybe your motherboard has gone to default bios settings when you transferred it over. Check the bios to see if onboard sound is enabled.

Comment

Working...
                          X