17"iMac + wireless help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17"iMac + wireless help

I have an iMac 17" (anglepoise) and yesterday bought a Belkin ADSL modem with wireless router G, it also came with a free wireless G USB dongle (network adapter).
    Amazingly I have it working (Router downstairs with Xbox, iMac with dongle upstairs). The speed seems good to.

Now the problems I have are,
    When starting up my iMac, it dosent recognise the USB dongle until I pull it out from its port and put it back in again. I have to do this every start up.
    Is there any way around this?

My modem & dongle is 54mbps, should I have gone for 125mbps?
    My computer is only USB1 does this mean the modem is running at 11mbps, or am I worrying over nothing?

You could try a PMU (CUDA) reset which has worked for me in the past when I've had USB and Firewire port issues. Usually on non-laptops it's a small button somewhere on the logicboard that you press when everything is disconnected from the Mac. Should tell you in your manual where it is or you could try the Apple knowledge base (good luck!) or probably better, Google for it.

Another option could be a dodgy Preferences file but it's only wise to delete that if you know which one it is.

EDIT: 10.3.9 has just been released. Maybe that will sort it out.
    Last edited by segages; 16-04-2005, 12:22.

Comment

Got it to work!
      Reinstalled the usb drivers, put the USB Network Utility in my startup items. Now everytime I startup, I just have to press "connect" on the utility and everything works superb. I'm getting really good speed/connection from it, and its really stable.

A complete wireless solution for ?69.99!

Just hooked up my Xbox (ethernet port) & PSP (wireless), everthing works, its great!

Comment

Working...
      X