Extended phone lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extended phone lines

As some of you already know I've got the broadband running now, but I have a fairly ancient line extension cable,the 3m one that came with the package isn't long enough. I have to go through the floor of my room. it's causeing the connection to reset itself every 10 minutes or so, and it's also causing occasional slow speeds.

I know it is this one because I tried the cable on another computer right next to the phoneline and it worked perfectly.

anyway, does anyone know of a broadband freindly phone line extension cable that can hold a good single over about 6-10 Metres? (ish)

you could always get a wireless router and beam it through the ceiling instead

Comment

I've got a 10m one I bought from Robert Dyas, going from my kitchen, up through the loft and down into my study into the router. Works fine.

Comment

Any should be fine, there's not really much in the way of 'premium' phone extensions available.

Just make sure you aren't filtering it twice

Comment

Originally posted by babs
          Any should be fine,
          Gotta disagree there....the longer/older/more kinks your cable has in it, the higher your line loss is gonna be. It'll affect your speed and cause loss of sync. Cables of all things don't last forever........that's why BT will only investigate faults up to the master socket.

I wouldn't worry about getting a premium one, just get a new one from Maplins and keep it as short as possible.

Comment

hmm, lots of things to consider, how reliable are wireless routers these days? a freind of mine had one and it was a total disaster, I'm thinking of having two computers and an xbox all hooked up at once (although not necesarily all on at the same time)

Comment

Working...
            X