Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSP Japanese Vs PSP American

Hello all,

I have a simple question: I want to purchase an import PSP (I'm in Italy) and I wanted to know the differences, pros and cons,of the Japanese and US version. I see Japanese ones cost a bit less on eBay.

Thanks!

I honestly can't see any difference except for the UMD region encoding, which is a bit of a null issue if you plan on getting a big Memory Stick anyway.

The first wave of Japanese PSPs come with older software (v 1.0 compared to US v 1.5), but you can update that easily with a download onto your Memory Stick.

Comment

The US ones have been tweaked a bit cosmetically, apparently. The battery compartment clip is "better" and the plastic on the grips is ever-so-slightly improved (I'm going off what someone said on another forums who has both).

Comment

Originally posted by rjwtaylor
        I honestly can't see any difference except for the UMD region encoding, which is a bit of a null issue if you plan on getting a big Memory Stick anyway.
        Sorry, what does region encoding means? I thought the PSP was region free?

Also, how can one copy the update software on the memory card? Do you need a memory card reader?

Thanks a lot!

Comment

You can access the memory card if you have a "mini" USB cable or if you have a Memory Stick Duo memory card reader (in reality, a MS reader + MS-Duo adapter).

Games are region free. UMD videos are not. Europe and Japan/Asia are region 2, the US is region 1. Just like DVDs.

Comment

Originally posted by anephric
            The US ones have been tweaked a bit cosmetically, apparently. The battery compartment clip is "better" and the plastic on the grips is ever-so-slightly improved (I'm going off what someone said on another forums who has both).
            Is this confirmed?

Comment

Nein, just banter.

Comment

Originally posted by recipher
                Games are region free. UMD videos are not. Europe and Japan/Asia are region 2, the US is region 1. Just like DVDs.
                Is this confirmed?

Comment

I'd be wary of early launch PSPs (although I'd imagine it'd be quite hard to find yourself ending up with one these days)... the difference in build quality between my launch PSP and another I just acquired (they're both Japanese btw) is quite noticable.
                  Last edited by Lyrical Donut; 29-04-2005, 11:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyrical Donut
                    I'd be wary of early launch PSPs (although I'd imagine it'd be quite hard to find yourself ending up with one these days)... the difference in build quality between my launch PSP and another I just acquired (they're both Japanese btw) is quite noticable.
                    Hello.

Do you have time to expand a little?

I have bought 2 in the last 3 weeks. One came from Amsterdam airport, and one from Liksang. Both Jap with firmware 1.5 installed. So both of these I think must be "New models" and I am satisfied with the build quality.

Can you explain what the launch model lacked? Is it the the actual "feel" or something specific.

One assumes that devices with updated firmware "From the box" would be the latest from the production line, but you never know.

Nice little gadget. Hope some great games come out! For now I have ridge, Lumnies & Macleans new game to enjoy.

Plus the endless entertainment of trying to figure out the port forwarding requirements of KAI, best bit rate for MP4 conversion and hacking of DVDs......

Comment

Just general feel, really.. and a couple of other things.

The one I just got had the 1.5 firmware out of the box, too.. so I'm assuming it's rolled off the production line fairly recently. I posted the differences elsewhere - but here are the details!

E.g. no more squeaky right d-pad (my other one still queaks, despite having played all the way through ridge).

The L and R buttons feel really solid and no longer require a second tap to reset them (had to do this on the older one otherwise they'd stop registering properly).

Also - you could hold the ends of my launch PSP and twist them slightly, producing an unearthly creaking sound in the process... the new one doesn't budge at all - feels really solid.

Square button also works much better now, too (sometimes it'd take a few times to register unless I hit the button dead on).

Looks like the quality control at launch was random at best (although a mate of mine has a launch PSP which feels more solid than mine did).

Comment

I've got a launch J-version PSP with firmware 1.0... haven't had any real issues with it yet (but I might trade it in before UK launch given some of the silly trade-in prices floating about).

Comment

Don't know if this' right thread to ask, but let's ask anyway. Ok, so I'm looking to buy an imported PSP - no matter if it's NTSC-U/C or NTSC-J, just searching the cheapest. I've checked out Lik-Sang, Play-Asia, VG+ and DVDboxoffice. Is there other online-stores that ships to Finland? And yes, it has to be Value Pack.

Comment

Hi

i'm also going for a PSP now (can't resist).....my main question is where is the best place to source UMD movies? JAP and US?

edit: and also, when do UMD movies get released in relation to their DVD counterpart? I.e. if XXX comes out on Fri 29th, when does the UMD movie come out? Same time, month after?
                            Last edited by charlie5; 29-04-2005, 20:18.

Comment

Ok, thanks all - I have just a final question... can somebody help me understand how I can figure out if a Japanese PSP on sale on eBay from a good seller is a recent or older version? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X