Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NTSC DVDs on Pal ps2

Quick question guys...

Can a pal ps2 play NTSC dvd's? Is it region 2, or multi-region? I'm trying to play some ntsc dvd's, they come out black and white. Is there some setting I can change or a cable I can get so that they come out in color?

Unless its chipped I think you need something like DVD RegionX to play non region 2 dvds... If they are working but in black & white, thats a cable issue isnt it?

Comment

Yeah, they are in black and white, but as far as I know the PS2 is not chipped. I borrowed it from a friend, didn't ask him if it's chipped or not.

Comment

Well if its not chipped then you should be getting a message saying its the wrong region so its odd you aren't. If it's coming out black and white it is most likely a cable issue. You need the full RGB scart. However, as far as I know, if you don't have a dvd regionX or similar they will then turn out green.

Comment

Ok.... i tried out the ps2 and a movie on another tv (on that is multiregion) as opposed to the pal tv that I normally play movies and watch games on, and it came out in color.

So what is going on? As far as I understand, the ps2 can play the ntsc movies, but it its coming in black and because my tv doesn't support the ntsc signal.

Does that mean that the ps2 is chipped then? And what kind of cable can I get to get color?

Comment

An RGB Scart cable would make it work in colour.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33
              An RGB Scart cable would make it work in colour.
              How much would one cost? I assume I can get it at HMV?

Comment

If you need an RGB scart lead to run NTSC games on your TV, it doesn't support NTSC and if your TV doesn't support NTSC you won't be able to run the NTSC DVD's in colour.

Comment

The PS2 plays NTSC DVDs in NTSC. It does not convert them to PAL-60 like some standalone players do. Hence the black and white video on your TV that doesn't support NTSC

The problem of it appearing in black and white is not a cable issue as such, it's more a TV issue. Unless it's changed, an RGB SCART cable will not let you play DVDs in color because of a copy protection issue (the "green screen").

So the best thing for you to do is either buy another standalone DVD player or to get an RGB SCART cable and some way of solving the green screen problem (I see Region X has been mentioned).

Comment

edit: nevermind.
                    Last edited by Light; 28-04-2005, 21:33.

Comment

Working...
                    X