Zone-Alarm + LAN + Solar-Sex Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zone-Alarm + LAN + Solar-Sex Problem

Ok, I've used Zone-Alarm for a while because I keep getting this sex pop-up, and when I have my FireWall on, it doesn't come up. But when it is disabled it pops up everynow and again: "NO, I DON'T WANT SOLAR SEX, NOW LEAVE ME ALONE!!!"

Sorry... Well anyway, I want my internet security high, but my security with trusted computers low. This is because I have my other computer on a LAN. Well, ZA won't have any of it!

When My 'Trusted Zone' securty is low, my other PC still can't see this one, the only way my other PC can see this one is if my 'Internet Zone' security is low also... Well, that makes it pointless having the firewall really!!

Do any of you know either how to get rid of this tupid solar-sex advert or how to get my other PC to see this one with ZA on... I don't know if I have to specifically state that my other PC is 'trusted' or whatever... but anyway...

-Thanks!

Well, someone who actually knows something decent will have better answers ( =] ), but it's not something as straightforward as you using Add/Remove Programs to get rid of this sex thing, is it?

If that's not it, I can also suggest you d/l a copy of Spybot Search and Destroy, which will track down dodgy stuff for you.

Comment

I'm not familiar with this solar-sex advert, but I suspect it's sent to and displayed by the windows messenger service (or whatever they call it). To get rid of it, disable the messenger service.

In win2k you do it by going Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services, right clicking on Messenger, choosing Properties and setting Startup Type to Manual. You can also choose to start and stop it from here. Can't say how to do it in any other windows version, sorry, but it should be something similar. I'm sure someone here can help.

Comment

Yes, the advert says "Messenger Service" at the top, in the bar...

Does that mean that it is comming from MSNMessenger, because my sister likes to use that to talk to her friends and I'd feel bad if I tried to stop her!

Or is it a different messenger service? What other effects will disabling it have?

Comment

My missus gets stuff like this that say from MSN but i never do, maybe its because i use a router.

Must be a way get rid of it other than stopping using MSN.

Comment

She has downloaded MSNMessenger Plus as well... Even after I told her not to... Could that effect it!?

Comment

Peet, I have stopped that Messenger thing. Hopefully that will stop it!

Comment

Windows Messenger is not related to MSN. It's used to send and receive messages to and from other users/machines on the network. Stopping the service simply means you won't be able to use it anymore. You won't receive any more annoying popups and won't be able to send any.

Comment

That's great. Thanks a lot!

Comment

also install adware and spybot to scan your pc for any crap that shouldn't be there

Comment

Right, one of the main things that will cause this is spyware/adware on your pc. Goto www.lavasoft.de and get Ad-Aware, which will scan and remove all advert programs.

This should fix it

Comment

Thanks a lot.

Have any of you got any experience with Zone-alarm and why my other PC can't connect to it while it is on? And How to over come it?

Comment

Zone alarm is a firewall - which means that it blocks certain ports for use with certain applications. I don't have hands on experience with Zone Alarm, but being a firewall means that it does stop network access with some applications. What you must do is find which ports this certain application you need uses, and unblock them.

I'm not the best person at explaining these things, I;m sure someone will explain it better.

Did Ad-Aware do any good?

Comment

Working...
                          X