PS2 Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS2 Fan

Does anyone know if the PS2 fan is a standard size? I'd like to swap it for one which is quieter. Has anyone else done this mod?

cheers in advance,
    kully

I'd like to know this too, I just got a Silver PS2 and the fan seems even more noisy than the normal ps2 one.

*Edit*

Just checked it, looks like a 60mm fan, the only problem you might have is the shape of it. Its got two bits on it for screwing it into place that normal pc fans wont have. Another fan might fit in the space but you wouldn't be able to screw it in.

*Edit 2*

Nah, were ****ed. The connection to the board is totally different to the normal 3 pin connector for pc fans.

Comment

I'm sure with a little soldering this could be achieved?

Comment

Anyone got the specs for the fan? (e.g. Power consumption and Voltage? - I don't want to fry my mainboard.)

It's be easy to put the old connecters on the new fan.

I was also thinking of just slapping in another fan, even if it does stick out the back, the drone of the fan drives me mental during those silent, dramatic/scary moments in films.

Comment

Does the Ps2 fan have a sensor on it to turn the machine off if the fan stops running ??

I know my sony projector does, making it quite tricky to change the fan.

Comment

Hmmm.. Been looking on the internet with no luck when it comes to doing this Mod (strange as I would have thought this is something many people would want to do).

I think I'll wait until I can get a spare fan as fitted to the SCPH 50001.

Hope they did just fit a quieter fan and not reorganise the insides so it needed a less powerful one.

Comment

Already on this one.

The PS2 has a standard fan, but with a non standard connector. Although, to splice the existing connector onto a new fan is 2 seconds work, and really nothing extra given you have to strip down the PS2 to a reasonable extent to replace the fan anyway.

I've found Chinon fans that are almost 99% silent, a hell of a lot quieter than the Sony fan, anyway. Trying to get a price on 40 or 50 of them from a supplier, as I want to offer this as a service on my site. Based on the provisonal cost I've been given of ?6.55 per fan, I'm probably goign to offer the "Quiet Fan" conversion for ?20.

Also, am thinking of offering a conversion that makes the top, power and reset red/green LED on the PS2 a blue one as well, already done it to mine and it looks really nice having 2 blue LEDs. Is this something that anyone else would be interested in?

Regards,

Will.

Comment

Yep Will that sounds very good, might be up for the LED conversion, as the silent fan on my Silver PS2.

Comment

I wouldn't mind a blue LED and Silent fan on my Silver PS2, ThoseOfTheUnlight, have you noticed the silver Ps2 is really noisy compared to normal PS2's?

Comment

G-Funk - nope I havent, sounds exactly the same as any other PS2 I have ever used, to be honest!

Maybe its just your mind playing tricks on ya

Comment

Working...
                    X