No announcement yet.

gamecube progressive scan problem on plasma screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it's always cheaper to buy boxes that 'degrades' the signal, instead of the other way, where the box has to 'come up' with the extra information to put on screen.
    it sounds like lyris' key digital box is what i need, as my plasma does all kinds of weird stuff when i plug in my DC via RGB scart. I don't know what it is, but the picture is almost 50% 'pushed down', so the bottom part of the picture is on the top. Think it's something to do with sync? It does this on both rgb scart's.A have another tv, and there the DC pq is perfect, so it's not the DC that's broken.

Lyris,you meant this one, right?
    http://www.keydigital.com/Itemdesc.asp?CartId={B0BE31A0-4604-4A0C-B0C7-9A9EVEREST99EE74182}&ic=KDVTCA3&Tp=
    how is the picture? is it better than rgb scart? Does it activate some kind of progressive scan signal, like when you hook DC up via vga?
    There doesn't seem to be any component cable for the DC, so this must be the only way.

Comment

That's the one I mean, and yeah, the Dreamcast was just out of the time-frame for natively supporting Component.

The picture's of course a lot better than RGB SCART because it's not interlaced. I tucked my transcoder away behind my TV and honestly forget that it's a converted picture I'm watching. There's no lag, so the games are all playable, and yes, it will show all your games in 480p when you connect it to a Dreamcast VGA box.

For the record, the converted VGA pictures from the Key Digital unit look mildly better than my GameCube's native Component output and is leagues ahead of the blurry pictures the Xbox gives.

Comment

Originally posted by t-dog
        uli,
        no unfortunatly there are not any vga/dvi/hdmi on my plasma.
        It's this one:

I didnt think it would be that big of a difference between a prog scan signal via component, and a vga signal via d-sub..?
        it'll have to wait until my next plasma.
        a very stylish TV, t-dog! it's got the same size and resolution as my Hyundai. you also got the stand for it?and does your Panasonic support 720p and 1080i HDTV modes too?

btw: i'll post a some pics of my Plasma in the setup pics thread later on!

Comment

lyris,
          sounds like an excellent pq for the dreamcast,just what i want!
          But the K.D. box is $200, and the vga box is also probably about the same price? that's pricey! but, i'll probably buy it anyway. it's a shame paying loads of money for a plasma, and not be able to get the best signal possible from your sources!

uli,
          the tv suppports both 720p and 1080i, in both 50hz and 60hz.
          And the tv looks really nice, so it's all good.
          looking forward to your hyundai posts,i'll do the same with my tv soon.
          i don't have that stand, i have this:
          Attached Files

Comment

The Dreamcast's main board sends out VGA video, it doesn't need any conversion, so the DC's actual VGA box won't cost anything near $200. Try maybe $10-30 at most. Look around eBay for the KD box and try to find someone who'll ship it to you, you could get a real bargain on it.

For what it's worth, ignoring that it's not very easy taking a picture of a TV screen:

Last edited by Lyris; 14-05-2005, 19:56.

Comment

here's the screen picture I took for my short review on DC preview/promo/demo...

you can find more picture on this old post.

Comment

thx for the pix guys, it looks dead sharp!
                But recently my DC picture started acting up, doing even more weird stuff. Not being content with pushing the screen 5-10cm down, it also pushes it to the left 5-10cm, and sometimes, the pictures starts to roll downwards!!
                Funny thing is, it can start to roll the picture in the middle of the game!
                In shenmue, i entered an arcade hall, and got into the hang-on game, and once the picture switched to hang-on, the picture started rolling!
                However, if i change to another RGB scart input on the plasma, the rolling will stop (the picture pushing's still there,of course). Until it's triggered again at a later point in the game or something.
                Also, the picture rolling don't happen with PS2 connected via RGB scart, only DC. I'm not sure if its the DC or the RGB cable to blame, as i've tried them both on other tvs, and it doesn't happen.
                So i hope the picture pushing is a picture adjustment issue, which i might be able to solve via service menu, but whats up with the picture rolling?
                Other than that, the plasma's great. It's just a shame that picture position adjustment and sync controls arent in the setup menu per default! Especially when issues like these are common to a small degree.
                Last edited by t-dog; 20-05-2005, 18:49.

Comment

Working...
                X